15 days to go and too many questions to count! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15 days to go and too many questions to count! 15 days to go and too many questions to count!

Unread 11-19-2003, 12:31 PM
15 days to go and too many questions to count!

Hi Sandy

I had SAH....and I'll be honest with you. I don't think I could have done anything at 3 weeks that would take abdominal stamina. I sure couldn't have yelled....which is the closest I'd ever come to singing in public

The night after my surgery, DBF left even before visiting was over because I kept falling asleep in the middle of conversations. That was fine with me. The nurses were wonderful and I never felt neglected. I doubt you'd be getting up that night to go to the bathroom after a TAH....my first expedition was the next morning almost 24 hours after my surgery.

The sister who suggested just stopping in at the programs had the right idea. I found just riding to the doctor's office and then home again (maybe 90 minutes total) wiped me out for at least a couple hours afterwards. You'll also need to be concerned about getting jostled, which would be extremely painful.

A lot of sisters have gone home without having BMs. Me...I joined a prune juice party in the little patient kitchen (at 4:30 am) and had my BM I went home that afternoon.

On your last question...it's normal to be riding that emotional roller coaster as you approach your castle date. If it gets so bad that you're feeling really stressed, ask your doc for something to help relax you at night. Don't take anything he hasn't approved, though, because it could postpone your surgery or cause complications.

I'm 11 weeks post op and am very happy with the results. I had a seroma as my only complication....more of an inconvenience than anything (wasn't painful). Since my surgery I've had only one migraine that lasted about 30 minutes when I forgot to change my HRT patch....used to have them regularly. DBF loves the patches because he says I haven't "taken off his head" since surgery. I had about 36 hours of very slight discharge and nothing since. The big "O" still works. I still don't have the stamina I used to and get tired more easily, but it's improving weekly.

Hang in there, Sis. You're almost on the better side. We're here for you whenever you need that little "boost" to keep your spirits and courage up.

s
Cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2003, 12:45 PM
ME TOO!!

It's so good to hear someone with the same fears,etc.
I just found out last week that I am having a total Hys this Friday. I have soooo many questions and doubts.
I also have a solo in my Christmas cantada at church Dec 13.
I have a 3 year old daughter who is in a Christmas program on the 6th. My husband thinks we'll have no problem keeping the 3 yr old AND the 7 month old!!
I think he's crazy. Although my HYS is vaginal, I feel like everyone thinks I'll be up and running around in about 3 or 4 days!
My main concern is the issue with the after affects with sex drive, and vaginal dryness.

I just need comfort, advice, something!!
Unread 11-19-2003, 01:55 PM
just back from pre-op

Since my work is with small children, I asked questions at my pre-op today pertinent to some of your concerns. I was told it would be 6 to 8 weeks before I should be doing any lifting that would feel like a strain on my abdomen (I am getting an abdominal incision so that has some effect on it). My doctor gave me a note that disallows my return to work for a minimum of 6 weeks based on my need to do some of the very duties you will have to deal with with your own children so my thoughts are with you. The magic number, it seems is 10 lbs. If it is more than that, it is called heavy lifting.

As I had another surgery in October and returned after a week with some limits but not as great as this, I did figure out a few things. A step stool next to a crib or change area can help a semi-ambulatory youngster climb to help you out. Just be sure to move it away when not using it for the child's safety. Diapers can be changed on a change pad on a couch and a small plastic step in and out of a tub can help a youngster climb in and out with you there to steady them.

I found that kids can handle alternative hugs that don't effect incisions and still feel loved and that they can understand the need for a bit of space as long as you are clear they are loved and cared about. But that was all with the less serious surgery of the past. This one will have the abdominal incision so the rules are even harder now.

Hugs to you all and my thoughts are with you. All I know is that knowing I will not see my little ones I work with for the 6 weeks is one of the hardest parts of all this. 4 more days with them. That is all, and under the circumstances of my job, they may be gone somewhere else when I finally return.

Kids are more resilient then we give them credit for. I learn that over and over with the kids I work with. Just give them the love you can. When mine were small I was a month in the hospital and missed all of their birthday parties. Others came through and cared for the kids needs for me but I know the guilt of not being there for them. My heart is with you as you make these decisions. Just know this, my kids now tell me that the most important thing to them about that time is that I got better. Hope that offers comfort to you.

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register