TAH Post hysterectomy 3 weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen - UPDATED | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy 3 weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen - UPDATED Post hysterectomy 3 weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen - UPDATED

Unread 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Post hysterectomy 3 weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen - UPDATED

Has anyone had fluid and swelling all around the belly button and below it? It is painful to touch and when i put my hand on it it leaves an indention as if you put your hand in playdough, then if I rub it it flattens out again. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Re: Post op 3weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen

It sounds like these are new symptoms that are arising...?
Hopefully you have put a call into your doctor's office?
When to Call your Doctor is always good to read when situations like this come up.
Please give your a ring sweetie!
*hugs*
Unread 08-18-2016, 02:59 PM

I haven't heard of anything like that - I hope it isn't serious. Please let us know what your dr says. Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2016, 03:42 PM
Re: Post op 3weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen

The title says fluid pooling in the abdomin, but your description sounds like youre describing a swelly belly.

Swelly belly is common post op. Fluid retention in the tissues. It can start out all over the belly from high to low & wide. As it goes down, youll notice it low belly button & below area. This is very common. Theres articles on this site about it.

Cold packs can help. It takes time. Eat healthy, stay well hydrated. Limit salt & soda... Be sure to keep the GI system going bc it can contribute...Ive posted on this many times, so dont feel like youre the only one...It goes away when its ready..

If for some reason, you believe you have fluid building up internally, then call your Dr..
Unread 08-18-2016, 04:04 PM

Thank you everyone, i have an appointment with my doc for incision check tomorrow so I will let you know what he says about the swelly belly. Thank you again for your support!
Unread 08-21-2016, 04:51 AM
Re: Post hysterectomy 3 weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen

Lirpa, what did the doctor say?
Unread 08-21-2016, 09:37 AM

He said that this is common and nothing to be concerned about, it will go away. He put me on a diaretic to help with the retention. Good news is I can drive, get in the pool, and keep walking. No serious exercise yet and i go back in four weeks to see if I am released for work. I am not getting around like I want yet but I will get there! Thank you so much for checking on me!
Unread 08-21-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa101 View Post
He said that this is common and nothing to be concerned about, it will go away. He put me on a diaretic to help with the retention. Good news is I can drive, get in the pool, and keep walking. No serious exercise yet and i go back in four weeks to see if I am released for work. I am not getting around like I want yet but I will get there! Thank you so much for checking on me!
Sounds like all went well! Do update us if the diuretics help you. When we retain fluids the scale goes up. Let us know if the swelling & scale # goes down.. This helps other sisters as well bc so many are fighting the swell. Ive described the swelly belly bf as edema.. Take care! 🌷
Unread 08-21-2016, 11:55 AM
Re: Post hysterectomy 3 weeks and fluid pooling in abdomen - UPDATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa101 View Post
He said that this is common and nothing to be concerned about, it will go away. He put me on a diaretic to help with the retention.
Ah, good that it's nothing serious. Swelly belly is no doubt uncomfortable, and it can still pop up and surprise Sisters even 3-4 months down the road. You're in good company, and Lisa's link tells you what you need to know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register