New date... same fears...sister question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New date... same fears...sister question New date... same fears...sister question

Unread 08-07-2005, 05:58 PM
New date... same fears...sister question

Hello everyone...
1st question...I have posted before and felt so blessed by all of those who replyed. How do I keep track of all the "sisters" I have spoken to or have received such wonderful advice from?
2nd ...I'm the gal who cancelled her 7/7 surgery date due to fear and some feelings about my gyn. I have since seen a new gyn from a excellent hospital and she also has recommened surgery. In fact I have a 10/9 date for a TAH/BSO due to fibriods endo cysts and pain.I find myself "scared to death" again wondering if I really need to do this.I read the ads from google on effect of hyster and now I am second guessing myself. The fact is, I feel so alone!
I am 37 with 2 children and married.. I think what if I die? will it be worth it? I would lug a 30 lb tumbor before I would leave my children as I am sure each of you would.Will the efffects of the hysterectomy be worse than the pain I have now? what is the trade off? Am I crazy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:20 PM

1st... you can go back and find any post you have started or replied to in your profile, this would help you locate any of the sisters that gave you help directly. YOu can also place sisters in your buddy list.

2nd... I know exactly the adds you are speaking of, they are VERYnegative. You must decide for yourself if this the best decision. You have taken the right steps in makeing it, by getting a 2nd opinion and also finding a doc you are comfortable with. The risk of death with this surg is VERY low. Will the improvment in your quality of life make being with your family and playing with your kids make the surgery worth it, this is a question you must ask your self.

I hope that helps some. Best wishes. Angela
Unread 08-07-2005, 06:26 PM

Hi Ingrace,
I understand the fear you are feeling thinking you may die, that was why I refused for years & years & years!!! I just figured I'd live with the huge, multiple fibroids forever because I was convinced I would die if I went under anesthesia, but I made it through surgery without any problems and now, 4 months later, am really glad I did!!!! It's great not having periods, migraines, planning my life around my heavy bleeding!!!I was "scared" into the surgery, but I'm glad I was because otherwise I never would have done it--- my doctor said "she didn't like what she saw" on my ultrasound, that the tumors had really grown and she was concerned of cancer. Well, that was all I had to hear and I was so scared of that, that I felt I had no choice but to have the surgery--and now I'm really glad it happened that way, I do not regret it at all!!! I won't say it's easy by any means, but once you get through recovery, you'll be glad you did!!! Honestly in my opinion, the healing process is long , but now I miss the days of laying around "re-couperating" !!! I am starting to feel better everyday and am really glad I had it done and thankful it's over!! I hope you will feel this way too. I do understand the fear though, it is really a major decision, I just feel things happen in life 'when they should' and when the time is right, you just have to do what needs to be done. As for how you'll feel afterwards, I think my hormones are much more even -leveled now, I am adjusting fine to the estrogen patch. I hope that someday you'll look back and be writing to other sisters helping them through their fears too. take care, zanylynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2005, 06:39 PM

These are my questions almost word for word. You are NOT alone! I am feeling the same way you are! Thanks to all of the ladies who offer their experiences and advice. I am sure you have been in my shoes and you know how much it means to have someone out there who gets it!!
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:18 AM

This Hyst. was my first surgery ever..and I was thinking the same thing you are!! The hardest thing i've ever done in my life was kissing my kids bye before leaving for the castle..that fear about killed me..what if I don't wake up..what if something happens..what if what they find IS cancer...the list goes on.
Once in the castle..I.V. in...nurse gives me the "margarita mix", next thing I know, i'm in my room, thinking .."whoaaaaaaaaa I flipped out this morning for NOTHING".
This is a BIG decision, no one can make it for you, but believe me...I only dealt with painful periods for 5 months, you guys have dealt with pain for YEARS, to which I *BOW* because I couldn't do it. But believe me...it's sooooooooo much nicer on the other side!!!
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-08-2005, 04:34 AM

my hyst is due in sept/oct i am on the waiting list.my gynae has put me on ashorter waiting list for the more urgent operations.just have to wait and here from his secretary with the date.it,s very frustrating i will be happier when i have the date then i will have a time line to work to

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register