Hysterectomy/Prolapse Repairs on June 24th. Beyond Scared. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy/Prolapse Repairs on June 24th. Beyond Scared. Hysterectomy/Prolapse Repairs on June 24th. Beyond Scared.

Unread 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Hysterectomy/Prolapse Repairs on June 24th. Beyond Scared.

Hello ladies!
Im hoping fo find some support. I am a wreck with nerves! I am scheduled June 24th for surgery. I am 27, the mother of 3 children (ages 10, 7, and 10 months). I suffer from a grade 2/3 cystocele (bladder prolapse), grade 2/3 Rectocele (Rectum prolapse), and a low grade uterine prolapse. I also have what they believe to be adendomyosis as my periods are long heavy and last months sometimes. I also have had several abnormal paps and a family history of cancer. I am DONE having kids. So we have decided to go ahead and do the hysterectomy (leaving ovaries), and do the prolapse repairs.
I am having a Hysterectomy, UteralSacral Ligament Suspension (Where they attach the top of my vaginal to the uteralsacral ligament, it helps keep the vagina from caving in/prolapsing after the uterus is removed), and im also having anterior and posterior repairs using sutures.
Im so scared ladies. Ive struggled with depression from all this. I was so active. I used to love running. I way always in the gym. Now I feel like my life as I knew it has ended. Ive joined support groups and these women were told to never lift over 20-30lbs again after these surgeries/repairs.. My baby weights between 20-30lbs so this is heart breaking. But I am so symptomatic that surgery has to happen. Pessary didn't work, and 10 months of PT hasn't helped make much of a difference.
I guess im just reaching out for more information and hope. Hope that life can be good again. That I can still be active (obviously no high impact stuff), hope that I can have sex with my husband again without discomfort, hope that this surgery can last if you take care of yourself. Im so scared that this will lead to multiple surgeries.
Im also curious as to what to expect in the recovery. When will I feel normal again.
Thank you to anyone who takes time to responds. *hugs*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Re: Hysterectomy/Prolapse Repairs on June 24th. Beyond Scared.

Hi LindaOwl -

All of your feelings, fears, nerves and emotions are very normal. This is a difficult surgery to face and digest. And all of your repairs I am sure make it all the more difficult.

I am sorry you have been struggling so much. I cannot answer your questions regarding your repairs, and the restrictions you may have. But, you should ask your doctor about your specific case - everyone is different.

Above all, know that you are not alone in this. We are here for you.

Unread 06-04-2015, 08:03 PM

HI there

I am 31 and have 4 children (ages 12,8,4,2), I had a very similar situation as you expect my uterine prolapse was the worst and bladder and bowel prolapse were less severe. I had a surgery called a sacrohysteropexy (I think lol) last June to try fix the uterine prolapse but it wasn't successful so myself and my surgeon decided to go ahead with a vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repairs and suspension. I had my surgery on the 14th May, I was so incredibly nervous for so long and then the week of the surgery I just became calm and relaxed and ready, until the day that was and then the nerves set in but I guess that is completely normal

I obviously cant speak for long term healing but so far the only thing that has bothered me the most has been the posterior repair, it was really rough going, the pain was intense, I had massive hemorrhoids and it was so uncomfortable, I couldn't sit on my bum for the first 2 weeks and walking was hard for the first week. I have only had minor cramps here and there from the hysterectomy. I am now 3 weeks post op and honestly I am starting to feel like me again, I am able to walk normal, I can leave the house and go places (for short amounts of time tho), I still rest lots on the couch throughout the day and get a bit of pain if I spend too long on my feet but it is such an improvement from the way I was a couple of weeks ago.

I struggled not being able to pick up my youngest at first, he is 12kgs but both him and myself have got used to it and all I done if he got hurt or just wanted a mummy cuddle was just get him to lay down beside me . I have not been told about any long term lifting restrictions but is something I plan on asking when I go for a follow up

Hope this helps, if you have any questions then feel free to ask me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2015, 07:47 AM

Thank you for your replies. We decided to go ahead and do a TVH because on top of my grade 2/3 Cystocele/Rectocele, I also have a slight uterine prolapse. And all my research has taught me that if you want a long lasting repair its best to address ALL prolapses in the first surgery. I also have a history of long heavy brutal periods and abdnormal paps. So We are removing the Uterus and Cervix, doing a uterosacral ligament suspension for the vaginal vault, and the A&P repairs. Surgery is a week a away and im so scared! I wish I could find the calm or the peace. But the fear is just so much!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register