question about weight gain with hyster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about weight gain with hyster question about weight gain with hyster

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:38 AM
question about weight gain with hyster

Hi. my question is for those that have had a hyster. or partial, have you noticed a weight gain and if so how much would you say. my biggest fair, is gaining so much weight from having a hysterectomy. i have been under alot of stress with other problems in the family i have lost 25 lbs since january. i then weighed in at 150 i am 5'4 1/2" tall (i used to be 5'7" 3 years ago) shrinking and they cant find out why. but that is another story. but i know weight in at 125lbs. i am 39 years old. i am confortable where i am now. and i am very scared of gaining alot of weight, has anyone noticed a big weight gain from the meds your on or from the hyster itself????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 09:54 AM

Hello there.

so far I am nearly 6 weeks post op and have lost half a stone!

I too am 39 , 5ft 7in and weigh 136lb at the minute. I havnt much of an appetite but know that there is a little room for weight gain if it happens. I am on a hormone patch and so far havent noticed any bloating or anything and now its settled down a bit even my acne is easing off thank goodness.

My main worry is making sure I eat enough to stay healthy as my stomach has been very sensitive since the operation.

So dont worry, you will be fine and there is always something that can be done if the pounds start to creep up.

Take care and good luck
Unread 07-14-2004, 10:18 AM

It might bepend on if you have to go on HRT or not. I am not sure of what type of surgery you are going to have. I gained 5-7 pounds with a combination of not being able to do much and the hormones. Now my recovery was longer than normal due to additional surgery.

My advice is to be carefull, give yourself time to heal and then work to get your weight back to presurgery level. Depression can be a cause or result of weight gain so keep in touch with your Dr so it does not creep up on you. I am working on getting the extra pounds off now.

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2004, 11:20 AM

I've lost almost 10 pounds since surgery two weeks ago, but I'm sure almost all of it is because I've gone off the pill. Unrelated to weight loss, some of the clothes that weren't fitting because of my megafibroid are fitting again, hooray!

--Liz P

SAH 6/29/04
Unread 07-14-2004, 11:54 AM

I've lost eight pounds since the surgery. I'm not sure what caused it. My uterus was large but didn't weigh but half a pound. I do know that I can't eat as much so I stick to smaller portions or else I feel sick to my stomach. Also, my doc found and "extra appendix" hanging on my intestine while he working on my uterus so (after consulting with another dr.) he took it out. He said that it may have caused me digestive problems later. I don't know if that has anything to do with my weight loss either. Oh well, I'm certainly not complaining.
Unread 07-14-2004, 12:58 PM

Hi!

I am 2 1/2 years post op and I weigh the same today as I did prior to surgery. I am on HRT and have been since 2 weeks post op.
Unread 07-14-2004, 07:49 PM

Thank you for the response, it does help out alot..my surgery is on the 6th of august. having left ovarie removed possible hyster..
Unread 07-14-2004, 08:50 PM
weight gain questions

I am also worried about weight gain after my surgery on 8/4. I don't eat alot now, but am a very picky eater so doubt I will eat anything in the hospital. Did you have your thyroid checked in relation to your weight loss? My thyroid went overactive after our 20 yr old son was almost killed when hit by another car. It took him a year to fully recover (luckily) and then I went out of control. Most people lose weight when hyperactive, but my symptoms were just tiredness. I never lost weight and in the 5 years since they killed my thyroid, I have put on 10 llbs a year. At 5 ft tall that doesn't work very well. I lost weight on the diet drug they pulled off the market and ate healthier than I ever have, but now gained it back and more. I don't want to chance any more weight gain. At 49 I hope I won't have to be on HRT or at least for very long. I am also having a bladder sling done. Hope all goes well for you.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register