Visitors - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Visitors

On day 2 at about 8:30 in the evening my dh's boss and his wife stopped in. Talk about being totally embarassed. I never see these people except at work functions when I am dressed up, full makeup and all. I was so uncomfortable. I knew I was in for it when after about 15 minutes they removed their coats. UGH!! My castle has just opened a new wing and I had a private room, sofa, recliner and 36" flat screen tv. So I guess they thought we were at a hotel. After about 35 minutes I just closed my eyes and went to sleep. DH said they stayed about 15 minutes longer. On the other hand my dear best friend stopped in every day and took care of me, bathroom, showering, doing my hair. She knows me well and we laughed over the big undies she brought me. But they were needed and worked great. If I had it to do over again I would do what every one suggests and have the nurses screen my visitors.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Visitors

Oh, for Pete's sake! Couldn't they just have sent flowers? Good for you for falling asleep. Even if it didn't make them leave, at least you didn't have to experience the visit anymore.
Unread 01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Visitors

I didn't want anyone but DH there, and was glad I had specified that. I sent him home early the morning after surgery. Really only needed support the night of my surgery because mine was late in the afternoon. My DIL, son and 2 yr old grandson did come by about 24 hrs after my surgery but I was up and about, & showered by then so we went walking. It was nice to have company for the trek around the hospital. I wouldn't have wanted a bunch of people around. That would've been too tiring. I would doze off about every 15 minutes for about 5 minutes the whole morning after surgery. I was always surprised when I woke up that it was only a little later than the last time I woke up, lol. But I felt refreshed each time I woke up so guess my body knew what I needed. I couldn't have done that with company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Visitors

Thank you to everyone who posted. I am going to try to let people know that they can wait to come visit until I am at home. My DH and kids are the ones I will really want to see.
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Visitors

I will be honest, I asked well-meaning friends and co-workers not to visit me in the hospital or at home unless I asked. I am a very private person in the first place and am the type of person, when I am sick, I want to be left alone. I just explained to them that when sick or hurt, I am not a pleasant person to be around and would rather they didn't see me that way! The real friends understood. I had one friend who may have been hurt, but she dealt with it. I am just not a hospital person, nor am I a company person. Now I like to "visit" as much as the next person, but the way you will feel after surgery, is not conducive to visitors. At least it wasn't for me. I had just my DH with me and I told him if people came to visit, to not let them come in. Sounds a bit harsh, but the way I felt, I am glad I had him there to protect me. My grown son and his girlfriend were coming up to see me and that really didn't bother me, but they called first and I had just been given some major drugs and was in quite a bit of pain, so they decided not to come. I was truly grateful! Don't be afraid to say, I appreciate the sentiment, but I would rather not have visitors. Now, I understand if its a lengthy stay, but you will want to rest and get out of the hospital as soon as you can!!
Unread 01-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Visitors

My DH was with me the first day. DD and DSIL came the morning of the second day. I had a bout of nausea in the late afternoon when not only my DD and DSIL were there but so were my DH and DS. Just after the nurse gave me something for nausea, my sister in law showed up. Thank goodness for my DD... she literally shoved everyone out and said I needed rest and not to be gawcked at...

My roommate had a parade of visitors as many as 7 or 8 at a time. At one point I remember her small children running under drapes to my side of the room. Yuck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register