Is this normal for a TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this normal for a TAH? Is this normal for a TAH?

Unread 10-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Is this normal for a TAH?

Hello to everyone-
So glad to hear so many hystersisters are doing well thus far-kudos to you!
I'm starting to think I am not normal Will be six weeks Friday and I just can't get a handle on this. Have not been out (one Dr. appt). Undies and clothes still really hurt my belly and I am so down in the dumps today, I just want to curl up and sleep. I'm down to two pain pills a day (shingles) and I just want to be normal again. My incision is about four inches above my belly button and all the way down (about 14 inches) Is that normal for a TAH?
They did have to remove a mass from my kidney, so I was thinking maybe that's why I'm not healing as quickly as most.
Sorry to vent...just frustrated. Thanks for listening and any words of wisdom would be truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Re: Is this normal for a TAH?

It takes a while to really feel good & healed up. I was a slow healer but it all turned out good. Hang in there. Everyone heals at their own pace.
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:26 PM

bkindalways - if you're dealing with shingles on top of recovering from the surgery, it's no wonder that you feel so funky. I didn't have any complications, so I can't really compare my recovery to yours but I did find that I was still pretty sluggish at the 6 wk point. Not that you want to, but you might try getting out a bit each day. Even if it's just to walk thru a store for 15-20 min's. I really think it helps with the mood.

Have you had your 6 wk post-op check yet? If not, please let your dr. know exactly how you're feeling. Perhaps he can recommend something to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Yes hang in there, but do try to get dressed, made up, and potter around outside and walks. Your scar is bigger than mine, mine was from belly button down. I had shingles too...the least of my worries is how I look at them but they made me really tired at thetime and come to think of it, I still am...and quite isolated due to other things which is no good for the mind. You are not abnormal, but it is time to start putting in a bit of work to pick up. This is a hard operation there can be no doubt.
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:35 PM

It sounds like you just had a whole lot going on in your tummy! TAH/BSO and a kidney mass would be a lot for a person to take. Your incision may have been bigger because they needed to get to your kidney and they may have also wanted to be able to get a good look inside you and make sure they didn't see anything else... and that requires a bigger incision. And when you add shingles to the mix... you are dealing with A LOT!! I am 5 weeks post TAH and clothes are still hurting my belly... and I ONLY had a measly TAH compared to what you've gone through. Hang in there and things will get better. Don't be afraid to call your doc's office and let them know how you are feeling... they will either reassure you by telling you that it's normal or they'll reassure you by having you come in for a check. Either way... they should help.

HUGS!!
Unread 10-14-2009, 05:45 PM

My incision is 9.5" which is pretty large. I'm sure yours is larger because of your kidney involvement. Pelvic surgery is highly invasive and you had alot of work done. Its no wonder you're still hurting! Take it one day at a time, everyone is different. I was still hurting until I fingally got my abdominal binder, I'm assuming you've gotten yours as well? Its alot to handle, try not to be too hard on yourself. We'll keep you company. :-) Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register