dVH/RALH 5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest 5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest

Unread 11-11-2014, 05:34 PM
5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest

Last night I was tired and didn't take any ambien. But didn't sleep I had this weird feeling in my chest between my boobs. It wasn't pain per say but like an aching idk if it was gas or what. I had taken some immodium around 9:30 cuz of diarrhea. So my gut was doing some gurgling and stuff. I didn't go to sleep till like almost 4am and that was after I propped myself up with pillows so I was in more of a upright position. My heart wasn't racing or anything but I could feel it beating. I had an ekg and a chest xray before surgery that came back normal. I looked online and alot of ppl have it when they have anxiety. Could it of been anxiety of not taking anything to make me sleep? And not getting any sleep? I have been fine today so far and I am gonna take benadryl tonight to help me sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Re: weird feeling in chest

Hello Sassy

What you are describing sure sounds like reflux (acid). About a year and a half ago I was getting episodes shortly after I went to bed and sometimes in the middle of the night that would literally wake me up. The discomfort was in the area of the sternum in the middle of my chest. It felt like I was having a heart attack, an ache as you described it, or something trapped.. I got relief when I took Tums or Zantac. Eventually I began to get these attacks more often and my GP sent me for all kinds of tests (tests to see if I had an ulcer, a barium swallow, CT scan of the abdomen/pelvic). The barium swallow test revealed that I had some acid reflux going on. You can read up about this condition as it is also called GERD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease). My doctor put me on a prescription acid reducing drug for 3 months last Summer and I would stay away from greasy foods and I have been just fine. I found that when I had these episodes that would wake me up in the middle of the night, sleeping upright and sometimes even in a reclining chair in a seated position was the only way that I could sleep. I am not trying to diagnose what is wrong with you, just sharing my experience and I hope you find it helpful.

Take care
Unread 11-11-2014, 06:53 PM

I am having it now, and I ate dinner about an hour ago but it was just homemade mac n cheese. Nothing spicy or anything. Ugh if I have to deal with acid reflux on top of everything else!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Try taking a Tums or antacid if you have one and see if that makes you feel better
Unread 11-11-2014, 07:07 PM

it doesn't have to be spicy for it to cause Gerd, once you get it. Your best bet is to go and get a heartburn pill. You can buy omeprazole over the counter.

Make sure you always take any Nsaids (motrin, advil, aleve, etc) with food. They can cause GeRd too. I have to make sure I'm on heartburn meds while taking them. Otherwise, I don't usually have heartburn.

It might not be a bad idea to have it looked at. Chest pain can be serious. Most of the time it is heartburn but you should have it check out to be certain.
Unread 11-11-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnjb View Post
Make sure you always take any Nsaids (motrin, advil, aleve, etc) with food. They can cause GeRd too. I have to make sure I'm on heartburn meds while taking them. Otherwise, I don't usually have heartburn.
n.
This is probably the case I am always taking ibuprofen on an empty stomach cuz I don't eat alot. I usually only eat one meal a day. And maybe some light snacking. I used to have to take prilosec for a stomach ulcer but that went away. And unfortunately I do not have any antacids in the house right now.
Unread 11-11-2014, 09:18 PM

My first thought was reflux too. Not fun, but easily managed in most cases. Sometimes more frequent but smaller meals can help.
Hope you sleep better tonight!
Unread 11-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest

Probably reflux, but if it happens again give your doctor a call. Up to 2 months after surgery we are more prone to blood clots and that is not something to mess around with. IMO it's one of those things worth checking out if there's any chance.
Unread 11-12-2014, 10:56 AM
5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescuePups View Post
Probably reflux, but if it happens again give your doctor a call. Up to 2 months after surgery we are more prone to blood clots and that is not something to mess around with. IMO it's one of those things worth checking out if there's any chance.
Well I had the feeling yesterday after dinner but then it went away by bedtime. So I got to sleep last night. Well as good as I can with no sleep meds. And nothing right now either. So hopefully it stays away now.
Unread 11-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy: weird feeling in chest

If you've been taking pain meds for the last 2 months, your stomach might definitively not happy! Especially if taken without food!
Try with yogurt next time

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register