Anyone have a tummy tuck with abdominal hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone have a tummy tuck with abdominal hyst? Anyone have a tummy tuck with abdominal hyst?

Unread 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Anyone have a tummy tuck with abdominal hyst?

I have decided to get a tummy tuck while I am at it since I have to be cut open anyway. But I am sooo nervous about the garment I will have to wear and how it will feel against the incision. I keep seeing people talking about big comfy underwear and this garment sure isn't that. Anyone have advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2007, 12:03 AM

Since I didn't have a tummy tuck or an abdominal hysterectomy, I don't have any advice for you. I have read a lot of posts about having the two procedures at the same time though and you can do a search and find threads about it. I hope someone who's been there, done that will come along and share their experience with you!

s, Deb
Unread 01-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Thank you. I will search around and see if I can find anything on two procedures or more at once. I have seen it on TV, but this is REAL LIFE, and it's scary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM

A TAH involves an incision that is maybe 6-8 inches (more or less depending on what you have going on).
A tummy tuck involves an incision that goes hip to hip and up to navel.
TAH doesn't cut thru all the stomach muscles.
A TT cuts thru all muscles.
TT relocates the navel.
Recovery from a TT is a fairly major thing as it is major reconstructive surgery. Not saying that recovery from a TAH isn't difficult, but to add the two together would probably make for a tough recovery.
I wanted a TT, but couldn't coordinate the timing right. Found out about the hyster in Oct (scheduled for Dec), called plastics - it was 6 months at least to GET a consultation and then another six months to get a surgery date! There was no way I was going to wait another year for my hyster! So no TT.
Make sure you research everything very carefully, and talk to your doctors - especially the plastic surgeon. You will need a good team of doctors who work well together!
Good luck!
Unread 01-10-2007, 04:50 AM

I didn't have a tt but after my mastectomy I had a tram flap reconstruction which is similar to a tt except they use the skin and muscle from the abdomen to form the breast mound. The plus on that surgery is you get a "tt" out of the deal -but lose your breasts. I will say the abdominal part of the surgery was painful - I did walk hunched over for about a week and a half. The jp drains drove me nuts and I couldn't wait to have them removed. The pressure garment I used was an abdominal binder which wrapped around your stomach. I did not feel it as I lost all feeling from the belly button down. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions Lynn
Unread 01-10-2007, 08:56 AM

Thanks guys! I had a two hour consultation with my plastic surgeon yesterday and I feel much better. I am going for the full tuck - although I could have done a mini but I say, if I am gonna do it, I want no regrets or "I wish I would have just gone for the best result" feelings afterward. My incision is only going to be inside the bikini area, and don't have to have an up and down incision. It does go hip to hip though and while I do scar well - my other surgery scar is only a thin white line - I am nervous about it being so long. But a 6 to 8 inch incision is going to be there anyway, so a couple of inches more on each side is not that much more to deal with. I think! The only person who will see it besides me is my husband and I am more embarrassed about my flab. Also, a light tan makes my other scar virtually invisible. So having a flat tummy again will be worth it though, I am sure!
Unread 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Apositivespin, any more info you can share for tt?
Unread 02-18-2007, 04:17 PM

I was a nurse in a plastic surgeon's office for five years and MANY of our patients had a tt with ther hyst. I would have loved to have a tt but had to have a vertical incision (had a tah 1/2/07) so that took that idea away. as far as the garment is concerned, at first you may feel like it is hard to breathe. This is sometimes more related to the muscle repair than the garment, depending on how tight your ps pulls the muscles back to the midline. After a couple weeks, our ladies were "addicted" to the garment. We used to recommend wearing it for six weeks but almost always when that time came, they wanted to wear it longer due to the support. If you can, i would buy an extra one because it can get soiled early postoperatively. The other complaint from patients came were related to the JP drains. You will be quite sore the first few weeks but you will LOVE the results. If i can help you answer any other questions feel free to ask. Start pushing vitamin C and protein as these are the best defenses for wound healing. Good luck!
Unread 02-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Hi Toothcleaner,

In addition to what Tracyrn said, I can think of a few things.

I got three nightgowns that were to the knee, with a robe to match. The robes had two pockets which I would sometimes use for the drains. I also got a fake ponytail at wigs.com (put on pieces) that I used when I wasn't up to fixing my hair but had a doctors appointment or something and had to go out.

Never get behind on your pain meds. Find one that works well for you and stick to it. I found that demerol in my pump in the hospital and hydrocodone at home worked best for me. They gave me Percocet in the hospital after they took the pump away but it gave me really bad dreams. Also, take the muscle relaxers that you will be prescribed, your tummy will feel so tight and your back will likely be sore from standing up hunched over.

I got a bedjacket from a website (just google bedjackets) that was a soft chenille and it was perfect when I was a bit chilly in the hospital but didn't want a long binding robe. Bring your own pillow to the hospital, I needed one for under my knees, one for my IV arm and one for my head and my soft pillow from home was easier on my neck.

Have someone stay with you at least the first night if possible.

I agree with Tracyrn on getting an extra garment but I waited until I was able to use one of the normal kind. The reason is that the zip up on the sides crotchless one, while it was easy to get into, was very lumpy under clothes and once my two weeks of being a shut in were over I wanted something smoother so I wouldn't have to keep wearing my baggiest sweatpants. It also cost $75, and I knew I would not use it again once I could pull a garment up. So my husband put it in the washer/dryer every day while I was in the shower. When I was in the hospital, my husband ran home and washed it one day and then brought it back asap. The other two days I just didn't care! The garment that I have switched to is called TC Fine Shapewear hi rise brief and thigh trimmer and is from Dillards.com. That one is $61 but if you want the hi rise brief without the thigh trimmer it is only $29. I didn't like the brief because it pushed any booty fat I still had down and out the legholes and gave me saddlebags, which I don't normally have. My pS recommended that brand and they are very supportive - but tight! Getting that bugger on is quite an ordeal. I still use my garment that the PS gave me for night because it has the open crotch.

Also, I brought a baseball cap with a large "face covering bill" to the hospital because I had a feeling I would not be up to doing anything with my hair. It was easier rolling through the lobby incognito than knowing I looked horrible and in pain. I am sure I looked like Lindsay Lohan trying to avoid the paparazzi while leaving rehab but it wasn't really about vanity, I just didn't want anyone even LOOKING at me! I just ducked my head, clutched my pillow and visualized the beaches in St. John!

Get jello snack cups and sugar free popsicles (I liked Blue Bell Bullets) for when you feel nauseous. The big problem I had was the pain meds made me feel sick to my stomach and so I would eat these and it helped to settle my stomach. Also make sure you have crackers on hand at home so if you aren't up to eating you don't have to take meds on an empty stomach. Keep soup - tomato or chicken was least upsetting to my stomach - on hand too.

Having lots of water bottles at home will keep you hydrated. Cook a few casseroles before you go into the hospital and freeze them so you won't have to worry about dinner a few times. Whoever is taking care of you will appreciate that!

I bought some Victorias Secret cotton boy short underwear because the crotchless girdle doesn't have anything to stick a minipad to and you might spot a bit.
Make sure you have plenty of comfy sweat outfits for outings and for home once you are up to getting out of your nightie. Order a swelly belly band, I only used it a few times but when I needed it I sure was glad it was there. The incision burned quite a bit when the nerves were coming back to life.

Get some FLEET glycerin suppositories. Trust me, you may need them when your system starts to work again. It is hard enough to poo after the trauma of two surgeries without being constipated to boot.

Most of all REST REST REST. The first week is pretty rough, keep telling yourself you will be better soon and it will all be worth it. Make sure you have lots of help for at least the first two weeks. I am going into my fourth week and am just now resuming my laundry, bedmaking, etc. but only on a LIMITED basis, and only when I feel up to it.

Get some baby wipes or Wet Ones(use the kind that aren't sweetly strong scented, those made me want to puke) for when you can't sponge bath, but once you get home, be sure to sponge bath every day, it makes you feel so much better. The day I was able to wash my hair was a day to celebrate.

And I did mention the hospital bed, right? Number one best advice. You can find some tidbits for tummy tuck care on Tuckthattummy.com.

Good luck and private message me if you have any more questions! I will be happy to help in any way.
Unread 02-19-2007, 04:26 PM

I too am on week 4 after a TT and TA.
I really had no problems getting in and out of bed. I just turned to the side and pushed myself up. Yes, my incision goes from hipbone to hipbone.
I did go out and buy 'granny' underwear, and never used them. Didn't need them. They gave me these stretchy undies at the hospital that I tucked the drains into, and then would throw the panties out.
My DH ran out and got me a wedge pillow, and never used it either. You are limited to sleeping on your back for a couple days, and then I would use a side position...and would wince when I had to change. The DH spent 3 nights in the spare bedroom, so he wouldn't hit me or anything. (He tends to move a lot)
I only had the drains for 7 days.
The best thing I had was a toy of my sons. It was the grabbing thing from Inspector Gadget? You know, the clamp thing? I used that to find the remote, pick up the undies off the floor, haul the laundry in and out of the room...oh, I used that thing for everything. It was a godsend.
I didn't buy a swelly belly band and I never had to use anything to bind me up. Don't know why?! The PS is very happy with the way it all turned out.
What else?
I never had a problem with the bm's. I use kristalose daily for my IBS, and haven't had a bit of trouble.
I did have a problem with the bladder after the sling was done, but I forced myself not to think about it, and the problem went away.
The most important thing I did for myself was to give myself the positive attitude that this was the best thing going for me, and I was a QUEEN and was going to enjoy it.
Somewhere on one of these boards I did mention that they had me strung out for so long that they messed up my tendons in my left arm. I'm in physical therapy, and can now lift a 1# weight. Which, to me is pathetic, but life gives you a curve, and you just go with it. Mine was a very unusual case, so don't worry about it happening to you.
Gotta go make supper.
Have a good one!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register