Length of hospital stay for a TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Length of hospital stay for a TVH? Length of hospital stay for a TVH?

Unread 05-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Length of hospital stay for a TVH?

I would also like to know but for a TVH my dr said I need to stay for 4 days does that sound long?? I see alot of women out the next day .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Re: Length of hospital stay for LAVH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swvk View Post
I would also like to know but for a TVH my dr said I need to stay for 4 days does that sound long?? I see alot of women out the next day .
That seems like a very long time. Most women having a TAH don't usually stay that long. Are you having anything else done?
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
Re: Length of hospital stay for LAVH?

That is all that I am having done and I asked him a fue times "4 days?"
I hope I dont have to stay that long I cant sleep in the hospital at all ..well I guess i will see on monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Re: Length of hospital stay for a TVH?

I had a TVH & spent 4 nights in hospital. I really think it depends on the doctor & hospital where you are having the surgery done. I know that in Australia 3-4 nights is the normal length of stay.
Unread 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM

I'm having TVH with A&P repairs and my stay is planned for "overnight", however as explained to me by the scheduling person at the doctor's office, this is an insurance guideline, in other words, what they think is reasonable for that particular surgery (what do THEY know?). Anyway, as it was explained to me, once you're in the hospital and the doctor decides that you need to stay, then the insurance has to pay for any extra medically necessary days. I was glad to hear that. I stayed overnight for my laparoscopic gallbladder surgery 18 yrs ago (it's now a day surgery) and I could NOT have gathered myself to get up and go the same day. I don't even have my wits about me for 18 to 24 hours after I receive general anesthesia. I'm not sure I can get myself together after this upcoming surgery to go home the next day and face 3 teenagers, stairs all over the place, and a big lumbering Labrador Retriever. I'd kinda like an extra day to just not have to worry about anything. But we shall see.
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:41 PM

I had a TVH and was out of the hospital the next day at lunch time. If I had had a fever or my urine output was not enough, they would have kept me longer they said as a precaution. My Dr. believes in getting you home asap. With the nightmare room mate I had, I was happy to go! Good luck!
Unread 05-21-2009, 07:55 PM

The hospital I'm going to has all private rooms, but aside from that, I hate hospitals so much that I'm just as likely to be ready to "fly the coop" as soon as I can. Been there done that with the nightmare room mates. My mother had the worst one of all when she had her hysterectomy... She said the woman watched cartoons 24/7. I'd be wheeling the IV and dragging the Foley bag right out the door if that happened to me.
Unread 05-21-2009, 10:37 PM

I am not sure. I am having a TAH, and I am staying from Thursday to Sunday. I personally am excited to stay that long. lol I have two children who I am glad to get a vacation from for a bit. Does that sound mean? lol
Unread 05-22-2009, 01:01 AM

About hospital stay, i made an observation and it seems that in laparoscopic & vaginal hysterectomies that in America hospitals give the minimum stay of one night and in European & Aussie countries give longer stays! I think in The United States insurance companies don't want to pay more than they have to! I'm from the states too and i see to many times in Florida where i live that they rush you out of the hospital too soon and than you get sick and have to be readmitted! Abdominal hysterctomy is probably like 2 or 3 days stay in America and probably longer in Europe etc. Has anyone else noticed this? gina xoxo
Unread 05-22-2009, 01:06 AM

I stayed 4 nights the first time... Like i said i am having some issues so i am back now... but she told me from the beginging that i would be staying no less that three days...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register