How common is it to get an epidural before hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How common is it to get an epidural before hysterectomy? How common is it to get an epidural before hysterectomy?

Unread 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM
How common is it to get an epidural before hysterectomy?

I have read about some sisters receiving an epidural prior to surgery . Is this common ? Should I ask for one ? Seems to me if it helps with the pain level greatly maybe it should be a standard .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM
Re: How common is it to get an epidural before surgery ?

Hi HappyVLP -

I had an epidural and general anesthetic. My anesthesiologist recommended that and said I would wake up quicker. I liked that, and I would do this again in a heart beat.

The epidural helped with pain, and I had a pain pump that I could use after surgery. They could also inject into the tubing.

You can ask if it is an option for you.

Unread 03-18-2015, 04:23 AM
Re: How common is it to get an epidural before surgery ?

Hi HappyLVP,

I had general anesthesia, with an epidural for pain control,

In my pre-op appointment at the hospital, they told me that I could have an epidural - it was my choice. They didn't give me much more information. I researched it, and also listened to experiences here. I decided to have it, and it was a great choice. There was less feeling on its insertion than on the IV in my arm.

The pump attached provided a steady stream of pain medicine right to the site were it was needed, and there was a button attached that could be pushed for extra every twenty minutes. After the first day, they decreased the dosage and started tapering off, until is was removed after 1 1/2 days.

I could feel my legs and walk fine, but there was absolutely no pain at all. My first memory afterwards was in recovery, the nurse asked "how is your pain on a scale of 1 to 10?" I said zero, and it stayed that way until they took the epidural out. By that time, it was easy to control the pain for oral meds.

The epidural controls pain better than other systemic (oral/iv) methods. Also, since you are taking none/less systemic pain control meds, it lets you feel less groggy, and be on your feet walking more/quicker, which is important for recovery. Also, the systemic meds often contribute to constipation, which many women suffer from after surgery.

There are some uncommon risks that you might want to research, though, so you make a fully informed decision. However, I would highly recommend having an epidural for pain control if it is an option for you.

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Re: How common is it to get an epidural before hysterectomy?

I found out I was having an epidural when I met my anesthesiologist, i.e., minutes before I was wheeled into the OR. He said it would be better for pain management and indeed, it was excellent! I didn't have a manually controlled pump as some of the other sisters have described - mine operated automatically. However, I also had *no* pain, so I'm not complaining. :-)

A friend of mine suggested that the anesthesiologist decided to go with an epidural once he got a look at my body type. I'll tall and skinny, which means that my vertebrae are easy to locate and have a bit more space in between than they would on a shorter person. This makes it easy to position the epidural catheter. *If* what she suggested is true, then I'm *guessing* a short, extremely fluffy woman might have trouble getting an epidural on request.

The one thing I would have changed about having an epidural is that I wish I'd thought to ask the nurse to make a mark on my hip with indelible marker at the level where the epidural site was. When she removed the catheter, she put a dressing on it and gave me three fresh dressings. I was supposed to remove the old dressing before showering, pat dry and then put on a fresh dressing.

Well, I live alone. Do you think I could *find* the darn site to put a fresh dressing on over it?! I finally went with my best guess and everything worked out fine. But if I'd had a mark on my hip, I could have traced around at that level until I got to my spine.
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:45 AM

I cosign what the other ladies have said. I didn't have a choice in getting the epidural. The anesthesiologist told me I was getting it for pain control. It was awesome. Pain was a 2 or lower the entire hospital stay. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
Unread 03-18-2015, 08:49 AM
How common is it to get an epidural before hysterectomy?

I had surgery on Monday. Had an epidural inserted before surgery. It is wonderful. My pain has been none to very little (after walking and sitting). It has definitely been a blessing.

I am supposed to have the epidural removed later today and start on oral meds. After 6 hrs (making sure I'm tolerating the oral meds) I should be going home.

I definitely recommend it.
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:29 AM

I don't know how common it is.

I wasn't offered one. I had a pain pump. It worked. I was only in pain after they disconnected it. And the oral drugs helped with that.

I bet it depends on the hospital, your doctor and the anesthesiologist.
Unread 03-18-2015, 02:07 PM

This makes me so excited, I have had two epidurals before and the are amazing. I will definitely be asking for one.
Unread 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM

I did not have an epidural, but I didn't need one, I didn't have pain even without.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register