Anyone having a mini-period still after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone having a mini-period still after surgery? Anyone having a mini-period still after surgery?

Unread 04-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Anyone having a mini-period still after surgery?

I had an abdominal hyst 1/10/05 (4.5 months post-op). Didn't remove my ovaries and (VERY SUPRISED) found out after surgery the doctor left my cervix in.

I'm having periods right on schedule, just like before hyst, but obviously much lighter. MD said she's sorry -- only left 3 other cervix's in her whole career. Too adhered to remove it.

SO, tender breasts, bleeding and now a VERY SORE lower back. Anyone else out there experienced this? I have the hardest time sleeping 6 hrs. before the back pain starts. Only since surgery.

PLEASE let me if you've heard of this or are having similar symptoms. Would love to know I'm not losing my mind...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2005, 08:40 PM

brendalab,

I didn't retain my cervix, so I don't have bleeding each month and no personal experience to share with you. You are probably experiencing is a 'mini-period'. This can happen when the cervix it left because uterine lining is attached to the cervix. Sometimes mini-periods happen even after the cervix is cauterized by the surgeon during surgery.

There are ladies here who retained their cervix and do experience mini-periods and I'm sure will share their story with you.

There is an article in Pre-Op Articles about keeping the cervix that you can find here.

I wish you the best!

s

Deb
Unread 04-23-2005, 08:58 PM

I have a mini-period which is very light.

Basically, most doctors core out the remaining endometrial tissue when they leave the cervix or they cauterize it. I'm guessing since she doesn't usually leave the cervix she was unaware of this standard procedure.

However, your breast tenderness and other symptoms probably have nothing to do with your cervix but with your hormone cycle driven by your ovaries.

You're not losing your mind at all.

I would definitely look into what's causing your back pain, as it may not be related to surgery at all, or if it is, it might be something that can be remedied.

Some women have investigated post-op procedures to get rid of the cyclical bleeding. My doctor said that she could cauterize mine, but it sounded painful, so I said now. You might want to consult with your doctor or have her refer you to one to fix what she didn't do.

If it helps, I kind of like getting my cycle. It means that my ovaries are still working and that I've gone one more month with my natural hormones.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register