Exercise/fitness prior to procedure | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Exercise/fitness prior to procedure Exercise/fitness prior to procedure

Unread 07-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Exercise/fitness prior to procedure

Does anyone have any insight on the benefits of exercising BEFORE we go to the castle? I'm thinking if I start walking now, running steps or dusting off my Pilates video or SOMETHING, that it'll help my recovery time and success. What do y'all think? Will it make a big difference?

I'm not overweight (unless you count the 8 pounds I've gained in the last week --bleah!) but am not particularly fit any more.

(LOL, I hate exercising and am secretly hoping you will ALL say "Don't waste your time. It does no good whatsoever with regard to your recovery.")

Thanks!
Beseda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but exercise is good for you! I wasn't able to do any exercise for the past few years because of pelvic pain upon walking. I could stroll a bit but after about twenty minutes, the pressure and pain got to be too much. Since I've had surgery, I'm looking forward to being able to start a new exercise program.

I don't think it's necessary to work out strenuously but if you can walk some before surgery, it will be really good for your lungs and your muscles.
Unread 07-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Exercise always helps I'm afraid.. I put on 15 lbs in the 2 wks leading up to my diagnosis & surgery..my 'univited guest" which I didin't know I had was growing and I was doing my ab swing 1/2 hr each day trying to get rid of my tummy....LOL..well it's gone now..LOL...still can't use my ab swing tho'..too soon ..I think the best thing you can do is walking too especially for your lungs and cardiovascular..believe me you'll need to do lots of walking right after surgery...Good luck with your surgery and remember we'll be here for you anytime!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Actually, I hadn't considered lung health but it sure makes sense!

I guess the question is hard to answer because people who are generally fit *I'm guessing* have easier recoveries but don't necessarily attribute it to their fitness level, while others who have a tougher time bouncing back may be more couch-potato-ish like me. Guess the dog is going for more walks than she bargained for!

Thanks for the comments and most especially for the kind wishes!

Be blessed,
Beseda
Unread 07-19-2008, 12:29 PM

Walking is really good. You might also want to try and build your upper leg strength too. This may sound like TMI, but when you are first getting out of bed and on and off the toilet it will help if you can use your legs and not your stomach to move, if that makes sense. Good luck to you!
Unread 07-19-2008, 02:20 PM

Me/dh has started walking after he gets home from work, it's been really hot thru the day here. It feels good to get out and walk especially with a cool breeze. I know I probably won't lose much, if any weight before my surgery, but should help with my lungs/cardio and increase energy.

Good luck!
Ruth
Unread 07-19-2008, 02:49 PM

Exercise was part of the pre-op prescription from my doctor. There is no doubt that being physically fit helps with recovery. Just be sure that it's okay with your doctor to start an exercise program. I'm a runner and I don't know if that's why, but I'm only 2 days post-op and I feel very well. My biggest problem is going to be waiting a long time to start my usual exercise again. At least I'm allowed to walk as much as I can tolerate. Best wishes and hugs!
Unread 07-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Guess I should dust off the treadmill then, and get busy walking. I have a month before my date, and I live on a hill - literally - it is uphill to the road and the back yard is all downhill LOL
I asked DH to plan on driving us somewhere flat so we can walk together after I get home and get mobile.
Unread 07-19-2008, 08:25 PM

The other excellent thing about exercise is how it helps to relieve the anxiety that comes with pre-surgery jitters! My TAH is on July 22 so today I did 4 miles on the treadmill - still felt anxious when I finished the treadmill so then I did some weights. It feels good to get rid of the anxiety this way. I am by no means a fitness guru and I'm not thin - but it sure feels good to use exercise as a way to control the pre-surgery emotions!

Good luck
Unread 07-20-2008, 03:16 AM

I would highly recommend it. It will strengthen your body overall, heart, lungs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register