Bladder spasms and catheter??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder spasms and catheter??? Bladder spasms and catheter???

Unread 10-11-2012, 04:36 PM
Bladder spasms and catheter???

I had a Davinci hyster on Mon. They took out the cath the next morning. Several hours later it had to back in because my bladder was in complete spasm. I did also have a blaader sling done as well, so my bladder is noy happy with the world. Came home with a Foley

It is supposed to come out on Tuesday, I'm curious of those that have had them, what has your outcome been and how has your bladder reacted???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Anybody else come home with cath?

My surgery on Mon was almost 4 hours. They took my uterus and cervix but left both ovaries because they are very healthy. They put in a PV bladder sling as well. They took my cath out Tues morn. After several hours of bladder spasms they finally put it back in. Had to come home with it for a week.

Anybody else have to bring their cath home and what was the outcome?? It's gonna be a long week.
Unread 10-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Re: Anybody else come home with cath???

I came home with a cath for a week as well. Didn't find it to be a big deal. Actually probably kept me from doing too much. I was sent home with 2 bags - the regular one and a smaller one that can be strapped to the leg and worn under slacks. I used the leg one only 2 times, one of the times being my trip to the doctor to get the cath removed.

After 1 week I went to the office to have it removed. I had to "perform" before leaving. At first it was hard to go; what helped was holding my hands in the sink under warm water.

Take care. The week will be over before you know it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Re: Anybody else come home with cath???

Didn't mean for previous post to sound so rude. What I meant about it not being a big deal was I tried to focus on the positive. I couldn't do a whole lot attached to the bag which forced me to stay down and rest; and I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to pee! Both good things.
Unread 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Re: Anybody else come home with cath?

Thanks Peaches and it didn't sound rude to me. It does restrict some from getting up and over doing much of anything.
It's not painful, more annoying than anything. My bladder was in complete spasm at the hospital, my Gyn offered to remove it before I left and I told her No, I will just deal with the week and allow my bladder to rest. I just hope I will be able to pee semi-normally come Tuesday.
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:20 PM

I had same. Came home with catheter fr 4 days. I was terrified of having a catheter so my experience isn't worth repeating but I am here now to tell you that it's good I'm healing and no catheter. Waterworks is different since sling but its good no leaks!!!
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Great to know Atblount...
My biggest fear with this is that I will still leak or have a spastic bladder. That would kinda defeat the purpose of the bladder portion of this surgery.
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Bladder spasms and catheter???

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngzebra View Post
Great to know Atblount...
My biggest fear with this is that I will still leak or have a spastic bladder. That would kinda defeat the purpose of the bladder portion of this surgery.
It takes a few days to get used to the new normal. Just remember to keep up your fluids so very important. I'm glad I did it. No panty liner no extra pair of panties no fear of peeing when I sneeze. You will see
Unread 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM

Hi! I had a cath for 3wks after surgery (I had a small portion of my bladder removed as well). I was terrified! But outcome was good! As it was mentioned before, having it helped me to take things slowly since I didn't have to standup and go to the bathroom (it was very difficult at the beginning to even stand or walk). When they removed it I experienced some tenderness urinating, but over the counter medicines helped me with those symptoms. In a couple of days everything was back to normal!!
Unread 10-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Had a Foley for 3 weeks and then had to self cath for several days after that. I hated the Foley, it was hard to sit or get comfortable. And fitting the leg bag under clothes is tricky, not that I went out much during that time.

I cried a lot and really thought it would be a forever thing. The plus side was not having to get up at night to pee. Though with night sweats, the cath made changing clothes into a logistical issue, managing the tubing.

Hope your bladder heals faster than mine, but please know it does get better. You will get through this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register