Slow moving bowels after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Slow moving bowels after hysterectomy Slow moving bowels after hysterectomy

Unread 09-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Slow moving bowels after hysterectomy

This is almost four weeks and bowels are still slow with painful movements. Taking Colace 2-3 times per day, and Metamucil at night. I cannot eat any breads or cheese with out painful consequences. I know he repaired a rectocele. Any one else having same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Re: Slow moving bowels

I did not have the rectocele repair, but mine have been slow too. Now after 3 months am finally feeling closer to my regular before surgery. I was doing the stool softeners and ocassionally a stool softener with laxative (very mild but helped). A neighbor suggested pineapple juice which she uses and it seems to help too.

Give it time and you might have to experiment with combinations and foods to find what works.

Do not forget to check with your doctor for assurance this is normal part of healing and maybe suggestions.
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:00 PM

I'm also at 4 weeks and still have that same issue. I'm going every other day. I can't do cheese right now either. I tried it a few times and paid for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsgal21 View Post
I'm also at 4 weeks and still have that same issue. I'm going every other day. I can't do cheese right now either. I tried it a few times and paid for it.
Thanks for letting me know you are experiencing the same thing. I am craving pizza but cannot eat it. I am sticking to veggies and fruits!
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotteel View Post
I did not have the rectocele repair, but mine have been slow too. Now after 3 months am finally feeling closer to my regular before surgery. I was doing the stool softeners and ocassionally a stool softener with laxative (very mild but helped). A neighbor suggested pineapple juice which she uses and it seems to help too.

Give it time and you might have to experiment with combinations and foods to find what works.

Do not forget to check with your doctor for assurance this is normal part of healing and maybe suggestions.
Thanks I'll try pineapple juice!
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:12 PM

I also found I can not eat broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage - some of my favorite raw veggies. When I do I have horrible pain down in the right pelvic which is where the doctor said the sigmoid runs. I don't eat much bread - have found avoiding carbs and just eating protein, fruits and veggies I can slowly loose weight.
Unread 09-06-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I also found I can not eat broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage - some of my favorite raw veggies. When I do I have horrible pain down in the right pelvic which is where the doctor said the sigmoid runs. I don't eat much bread - have found avoiding carbs and just eating protein, fruits and veggies I can slowly loose weight.
Me too! I've lost 15 pounds since surgery because I've changed what I'm eating.
Unread 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw0121 View Post
This is almost four weeks and bowels are still slow with painful movements. Taking Colace 2-3 times per day, and Metamucil at night. I cannot eat any breads or cheese with out painful consequences. I know he repaired a rectocele. Any one else having same problem?
I just spoke to my mother who has dealth with IBS and slow moving bowels for 30 years.. and she's had many, many surgeries so she knows the tricks for getting the bowels moving again after surgery/pain meds. I consider her the leading expert on this stuff. LOL.

She says that Metamucil has almost no fiber and you are better off taking Psyllium Husks (found at the health food store). Take 1 tablespoon in water in the morning, followed by about 32 oz of water.. the water is VERY important. Then keep drinking more water throughout the day. Water is so important. She said you can increase the intake of psyllium if you need to.. but start with 1 tablespoon and see how that works.

She also takes 50mg of s stool softener at night. For her, this seems to do the trick after surgeries/pain meds. I'm going to try her recommendations myself. DH is out getting Psyllium for me right now.
Unread 09-06-2014, 01:42 PM

I had bowel issues for about 2 months or so after my hysterectomy using Colace and Phillips Milk of Magnesia. You're not alone.
Unread 09-06-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I am having the issue with the raw and cooked veggies. It seems I get gas from everything now. I love veggies but not fruit. So I am trying to change my diet. I found using milk of mag at half dose when having problems does the trick. Also gax - x is my new best friend.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register