New Comer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-20-2001, 10:02 PM
New Comer

Hello everyone. A friend of mind told me about this web site just after having a TVH. I am 29 years old with 3 beautiful daughters. The reason for the surgery was because I had very heavy periods and also some endo. It's been 3 weeks and 3 days today since my surgery and I am feeling almost normal.
The surgery went well. When I came out of surgery and woke up in recovery I was having alot of lower back pain. It reminded me of have back labor all over again. This pain actually continued for about 4 days. I managed to keep it under some control by using hot water bottles and some ibuprofen. Once it was gone I actually started to feel a little bit normal and felt like I could start taking short walks.
At 3 weeks I had been taken longer walks and even ventured to the gym a couple of times to try some cardio. I even ran about 3 km that week but found 2 days later I was pretty sore. Just my way of my body telling me to slow down. You see I am an advent runner and since this surgery I have found it hard to take things slow.
My wonderful supportive husband was home for those 2 1/2 weeks to take care of me and getting the kids off to school. By the 6th day I was going stir crazy. I didn't know what to do with myself. But I just kept reminding myself to take it one day at a time or if I didn't I would end up with a relapse and god knows I don't need that!
The only thing I am finding and I am sure alot of other women experienced the same thing is with holding sex. My Dr. told me to wait 30 days at least before resuming sex but that didn't stop me. We didn't take penetration deep as for I was too scared to. With everything stitched inside I was afraid to take that chance of tearing something. Once I go for my 6 week checkup and get the go ahead I believe the fear won't be as strong. The experience though was wonderful. Although we had to do things a little differently for now it was still totally worth it!
That about tells my story for now. I will keep everyone up todate as to how my progress is doing. I wish everyone a safe recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2001, 06:40 AM
New Comer

Welcome Chris

So glad you found us! You may find it helpful to post and read on the Post-Op Forum, since you have already had your surgery...lots of good information there!

I had my TAH/BSO 11 weeks ago today, and I feel very well. I went back to work at 8 weeks, and am still feeling VERY tired after doing too much.

I think that you are lucky that although you didn't heed your doctor's advise on resuming intercourse that you didn't have any complications. I personally didn't think it was worth the risk of infection or complications to have sex before I was cleared...I figured I had a lifetime to get back to my sexual life.

Most women are not in such excellent shape as you are, being a runner. TVH or TAH, it's the same internal repair, with many stitches and tender new flesh healing inside. Again, I think you are lucky not to have any complications yet from resuming your running so early in your recovery. That is not the norm, so please be cautious!! We don't want anything to happen to you!!

Glad to have you with us!!

Karen
Unread 05-21-2001, 07:29 AM
New Comer

Dear Chris,

At my 6-week check-up, my doc plucked a stitch outta there!

PUHLEESE don't jeopardize your (so far) smooth recovery to a few moments of passion. There are other ways you can show your love for your spouse. You have dozens of stitches in there, and the post-op rule is *nothing in vagina* til your doc gives the ok (generally 6 weeks).

This is your ONE chance to heal right... and you're worth it, right???

Sending cyberhugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2001, 09:16 AM
New Comer

Chris - I know you're ready to get back to "normal" but please slow down a little. Don't RUSH recovery. "Initial" recovery time is 6 - 8 weeks...and you're not even 1/2 way through that. You've got LOTS of internal stitches that need to heal...give your body the time it needs!!!!!! There's no such thing as "over pampering" yourself...you'll have plenty of time AFTER your healed to get back into the swing of things.

My gyn. told me "nothing in the vagina" for 8 weeks...have to admit I waited a little longer than that. Don't risk tearing stitches OR infection...WAIT for dr. to give OK!!!!
Unread 05-21-2001, 10:54 AM
New Comer

Hi, Chris...Hey, would you send some of your energy my way?? I could use it and, IMHO, you need to slow down a bit...so that would be a good compromise.

I won't reiterate the good advise you have already received. My surgery went very well, too, and I felt well sooner than I expected. However, obviously I am not as fit as you are, because what you are describing would have wiped me out at 3 weeks!!

I did beg my doctor's office to let me drive earlier than two weeks...They said "no" and told me that it is important to follow doctor's orders because, if you don't and something bad happens, the insurance company may not pay! That slowed me down right quick!

Keep reading, posting and talking everything over with your doctor (before-hand..)?

Unread 05-21-2001, 04:10 PM
New Comer

Hello Chris,
Welcome
I too was a latecomer to Hystersisters.com. Was so glad to have found so many who had experienced all that I was.

I just want to touch on the fact that you have had major surgery. You really would be amazed at the repair that went on inside of your abdominal cavity. Please take care not to jostle things. This could really set you back. Running is a high impact activity and it could spur on complications if you arent careful. Please take a walk and keep the impact down for at least 6 weeks. It would be better to wait until about 12 weeks. I know it is difficult. Make sure you consult with your Dr about this prior to running again. You already experienced a bit of pain with overdoing it.
Never resist a temporary inconvenience if it results in a permanent improvement. HelenM

Take some time to slow down and discover you again. Sometimes we really get cosumed in our lives and actually forget who we are.

Blessings
Unread 05-22-2001, 07:33 AM
New Comer

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear your positive post-op story, but I have to also chime in here...

Please do not go against your Dr's restrictions on resuming sex. It is NOT "totally worth it" if you get an infection or rip some stitches. Those types of restrictions are there for a good reason...your best interests. And as Twy says, you ARE worth a proper recovery! I'm afraid you will have to be busted by the Pillow Police on this one...

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 05-22-2001, 01:35 PM
New Comer

WELCOME TO HYSTER SISTERS

I just wanted to invite you to also join us in the h.s. chat room. This room is great for real time suport and advice from those who have been there or are there now.

Marci

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register