Scheduled LAVH New & Worried (endo patient) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New & Worried (endo patient) New & Worried (endo patient)

Unread 04-13-2009, 04:37 PM
New & Worried (endo patient)

Hello my sisters this is my first post so I hope I don't mess up,I'm not very good using computers but look forward to learning. Anyway here is a little information about me, I'm 49 and have had problems with my periods for years only gotten really bad since last year. I have endometriosis and fibroids also constant bleeding and killer cramps that put me to bed alot. I had fibroids removed last summer but didn't help at all then started process of one treatment after another having to prove to insurance company doctor had done everything possible to avoid hysterectomy. Last was the birthcontrol shot that stops you from having a period for 3 months,didn't work and last week doctor found more fibroids are back which is way to soon since removed last year. So now the big day is set for 27th of this month and I'm worried because none of the surgeries I've ever had has turned out right,doctor is worried about my csection scar causing a problem which then he will have to do a vaginal hysterectomy. Is there any differance in recovery as to which type surgery you have? Sorry for such a long first post but thankyou for any response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Re: New & Worried

Please don't worry about what you write being too long, too short or anything like that. I have never done this myself and I'm nervous also. But, we'll get through this together.
I don't have my hysterectomy scheduled yet, I go for the doctor consultation tomorrow. I had 2 c sections and from what I've read, and, I am not a doctor as we are supposed to say, I should have an abdominal hyster not vaginal removal, because of that. I'm sure I will find out more tomorrow. There is so much information available on this site if you can
find it. I just keep "clicking" on everything and reading it all.
There is a whole bunch of info on the different types of hysters and how you and your doctor decide which is best for you. Blessings to you. Keep on writing, it can keep your fear at bay.
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM

You're doing just fine

I can relate to having to do all kinds of testing and procedures before having a hysterectomy approved. I didn't really mind as I needed to be sure of my decision.

Recovery can vary quite a bit depending of the type of hyst and anything extra that is to be done. Normal recovery is usually between 6 - 8 weeks.

You can find lots of helpful Articles and Checkpoints if you'll go to the main Pre-op page here:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pre.htm

Best wishes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2009, 09:19 AM

Hi littlebit59 and alfie2. Welcome to the site! I'm not a doctor or even a medical professional so I can't speak for how things will work for each of you; but I can encourage you to have hope by telling you that I had abdominal surgery to remove a mellon sized oavarian cyst 21 years ago that left me with a 6.5" vertical incision and I was able to have a DaVinci assisted Vaginal Hyst. In fact my Dr recommended going that route as opposed to an orginary vaginal hyst because of the chance of my having internal scar tissue. When I asked him what would happen if he found some he told me he didn't think it would be anything that he couldn't take care of with the robot. After my surgery he told me that he was very happily surprised when he didn't find any internal scaring at all. I'm seven days post-op today and am doing well.
Unread 04-14-2009, 11:28 AM

Hi Ladies!

You've come to the BEST place on the 'Net for support and information! I'm 44 and am 5 days post op from LAVH & BSO and a Monarch bladder sling. Nothing like tending to all the maintenance at once! I'm beginning to feel like 'me' again even though both ovaries are gone. I am not doing HRT. I already definitely feel the benefits of the surgery even with the discomfort.

My doctor told me he really couldn't say if the surgery could proceed vaginally as planned or be changed to abdominal until he had me on the table. Luckily, the scar tissue internally wasn't bad enough to force him to go the abdominal route. So far, I'm still on track to be able to return to work in 2 weeks because I have an office job with really no lifting. I won't be fully recovered in 2 weeks --just able to go back to my job. That's a big point my doctor made. Full recovery takes 6 - 8 weeks. I'm not a doctor but I will pass along the advice I have received from this site, doctors and many women--do not rush your recovery! We only get 1 shot to let our bodies recover fully. Women who have pushed it have told me they regret it everyday. Scar tissue can develop and they didn't regain their vitality or energy. Recovery time is a unique personal thing.

Good luck and check back in often. {{HUGS}}
Unread 04-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Re: New & Worried (endo patient)

I've never heard that you shouldn't have a vaginal hysterectomy if you've had a c-section, or is that true? I had one c-section and am scheduled for TVH and AP repairs end of June. My GYN said nothing about an abdominal hysterectomy. My uterus is very small and is coming out mainly so she can do a good repair on my cystocele and rectocele, and probably they're the only thing holding my uterus up at this point!. I'm glad to see it go. I hope she even realizes I had a c-section. I don't recall talking too much about it as it was 15 yrs ago. I"ll have to ask at my preop.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register