Gas and hysterectomy yesterday - recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gas and hysterectomy yesterday - recovery Gas and hysterectomy yesterday - recovery

Unread 01-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Gas and hysterectomy yesterday - recovery

I just had a total Hysterectomy yesterday, Jan 20, 2017. How bad can the gas in your system hurt, and about how many days does it take to go away, or lessen in strength? And does an abdominal binder help with these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Re: Gas and hysterectomy recovery

We are very glad you've joined us! Your profile doesn't mention the type of hysterectomy you had; are you having CO2 gas pains from a laparoscopic hysterectomy? Or is the gas intestinal?

Gas pains for some women is their chief complaint for the first few days post op. Drink lots of water, walk as you feel able, and try Gas X tablets. Peppermint tea can also be helpful. Avoid carbonated beverages. If the gas pains have settled in your shoulders, wet a towel, warm in the microwave & place on your shoulders. Moist heat draws the gas out.

Some women love their abdominal binder and others don't. I didn't feel the need for one. Here is an article on this:

Abdominal Binder

I hope this helps! Wishing you a good recovery!

Unread 01-22-2017, 04:52 AM
Gas and hysterectomy yesterday - recovery

Taking regular walks has always been my top recommendation for gas pain, whether it's from laparoscopic gas or intestinal gas. If you have laparoscopic gas pain, a heating pad on top of the area can help. For intestinal gas, in addition to peppermint tea, try fennel seeds; they both act as carminatives, breaking up the gas, so it's easier to expel. In addition to carbonated drinks, I would also recommend avoiding other common "gas bombs," including legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Also, if your bowels are still a little sluggish, that can cause gas to become trapped in your colon. To get things moving properly, in addition to regular walks and peppermint tea, try supplementing your diet with magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; food sources include leafy greens, pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. Also try massaging your abdomen, starting at the right hip, moving up to the waist, across your belly button to the left side, then down and across, back to the starting point. This follows the path of your colon, and should help to move everything through. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2017, 12:35 PM
Re: Gas and hysterectomy yesterday - recovery

Thank you so much for the helpful tips and information.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register