Problems the last year in a half..... Was Clueless! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Problems the last year in a half..... Was Clueless! Problems the last year in a half..... Was Clueless!

Unread 07-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Problems the last year in a half..... Was Clueless!

Hello everyone, My experience started out with sciatica problems, I thought I had pulled or did something at work that started this painful constant injury. When I look back I see that my heavy bleeding/Clots started the same time. When I got my periods not every month but most periods I would end up not hardly even being able to walk, and had to frequently call into work. I tried going to my general Doctor he ordered a MRI which showed nothing and he stated it was all in my head the severity of the pain. Next I tryed Chripracter and that worked for a bit, but it always came back. I didn't realize it wasn't normal to have such heavy/clotting problems and it was getting worse! I told a cousin of mine and she said it was" normal, if I told a Dr they would only want to do a hysterectomy on you and that makes you old real fast" Well I thought well im tough I can get through this. Well I had no insurance for about 6 months so I had been putting off my womens check. So when I finally got my insurance back I went in for my check and they immediatly did a biopsy of my uterus, I was freaked out, my older sister had gone through stomach cancer the previous year. Then ordered a ultrasound, well the biopsy came back negative, the ultrasound showed a large polyp and numerous fibroids growing in my uterus! The Doctor kind of suspects thats whats been pressing on some nerves, possibly causing all this sciotica trouble. I am scheduled for a TAH, keeping ovaries and I guess some bladder repair August 4 th. Im a divorced mom/grandma raising 3 little grandkids and my youngest son is still home so I am a little stressed about how I am going to swing being out of work for so long. But I know this is what I need to do to get going full steam again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Re: Problems the last year in a half..... Was Clueless!

I understand. I went a good 2 - 3 years trying to figure out my discomfort and I also had some scaitica pain. My gp kept telling me it was fibroids and to hang in there it would get better when I hit menopause. I was unable to exercise and would be in pain and exhausted everyday when I got home from work. I went in for my annual last July and told her no more - she sent me for an untrasound and found that I had a huge ovarian cyst on the left and others smaller on the right which were suspicious of cancer. I also did have a couple of uterine fibroids. I went to see an ob/gyn and had surgery 8-5-08. The surgeon told me what a mess I was inside. I had endo and adhesions along with the others issues. The cyst on the left was the size of a cantaloupe. Thank the good Lord - no cancer.

One year later I can tell you I am so happy I did it. I feel like a new woman. I am able to exercise and do things without pain.

I didn't have small children around during recovery. I am sure that you will need a good amount of help from any family and or friends that you can recruit.

Church friends helped me out by bringing in meals to us. I also had cooked some meals ahead and frozen them to help myself out. I cleaned the house and had laundry caught up and changed my bed so I had a clean bed to come home to. My biggest fear was our 60 pound black lab. He just loves people and wants to be with you. I would have my hubby or daughter put a chair in front of my couch when I laid down so he couldn't jump on me. It was sort of like being in a crib but it was very helpful and made me feel much safer. I just used the seat of the chair like a night stand to keep my water, tissues, magazine and such on. It also helped in getting up to have something to grab onto to pull myself up.

You really need to take care of yourself post op. There are no shortcuts to a full and complete recovery - it takes time. You really need to take the next week and plan ahead for some help and prepare for what you want to come home to post op.

God bless.
Unread 07-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, I have list going with things to be done, and working on it daily. I am just hoping for the best and trying to stay positive. My son is such a awesome young man he just helps me out so much and I think all will be well after I get over the hump. (smiles) I too have not been able to excercize and take proper care of myself due to the pain. I am glad to hear you came out of it well and thank you for the tips. Please stay in touch id like to hear from you and I will do the same....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2009, 11:49 AM

My surgery is scheduled for Aug 10th(LSH) I have not been to the gym in weeks and thought maybe I would feel better if I went and did a light work out up until my surgery date, today was my first day back in about 2 months and I think it made things worse, I am cramping and having a lot of discomfort today but I dont know if it is from the work out or just one of those bad days? Do you find you hurt more after working out ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register