how are ovarian cysts diagnosed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how are ovarian cysts diagnosed how are ovarian cysts diagnosed

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:11 PM
how are ovarian cysts diagnosed

I already had a hysterectomy because of fibroids and an enlarged uterus.I have had two cycles since my hysterectomy (obviously no bleeding) and both times like clock work I have the same terrible pain that I always had prior to my surgery.Now the doctor is saying maybe ovarian cysts.I had a total abdominal with vertical incision so is this not something that he would have noticed?I also had two vaginal ultrasounds before the surgery and an abdominal. and he never said my ovaries were an issue.I know I only get the pain during my cycle or what was my cycle so is this why it never showed up on an ultrasound.I never had an ultrasound while I was on my period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Re: how are ovarian cysts diagnosed

I'm no doctor but have had years of u/s and fertility treatments....typically pain would be around ovulation as the follicle is rupturing. Pain around the time of AF could be an endometriosis flare but surely he would have seen endo while he was in there doing the hyster. I had stage 4 endo of the colon and it would flare horribly the 2 days prior to AF - like food poisoning stuff. My ovaries were stuck to other organs because of the endo and it invaded my colon in 2 places. I lost 8 inches of it thanks to endo.
Unread 02-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Well my op was TAH with a bikini line scar. My ovaries were ok they were checked. However 25/6 years ago my mum had a 4 litre ovarian cyst they recon had been growing for 15 years she had to have a vertical scar cause oh the size of her cyst and uterus. I would have thought your surgeon saw your ovaries as they leave them in if there ok. Have you seen a gyne post op yet or the Gp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:53 PM

Usually pain and ultrasound scan of the ovaries will show up cysts of any form
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:27 PM

the surgeon was the gyno.I told him I still have the pain.He said come back middle of march when I was healed up more so as to be sure its not incision pain which its not...its the same exact pain.With three different ultrasounds one in april of last year and then the two in october of last year.seems like if it was ovary something would have shown up.One ultrasound does say the right ovary is 2.2x1.3x1.7cm follicles are present within the right ovary.the largest of these is 11x7x9mm....the left ovary is 1.6x3.2x1.1cm follicles are also present within the left ovary.color flow is present in both ovaries.Anybody see any problems with that info?....If it is endo like someone said a couple posts up will it still spread and grow more being that I have no uterus or is the pain as bad as it's going to get?Just stuff I'm wondering about.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:28 PM

They can tell by ultra sound about ovaries. That is how my whole dilemma started. Most people have cysts that go away after awhile. The bigger ones stay around for a couple of weeks really bad ones a couple of months. If they burst it hurt real bad. Most just go away on there own.
Hope you get things figured out.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM

i've had this same pain for years...it was getting worse which is why I decided to go ahead with the hysterectomy. I'm glad the bleeding is gone.I guess I have more than one issue going on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register