Vagina Cuff Dehiscence w/ Bowel Prolapse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vagina Cuff Dehiscence w/ Bowel Prolapse Vagina Cuff Dehiscence w/ Bowel Prolapse

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Vagina Cuff Dehiscence w/ Bowel Prolapse

To say I am horrified would be an understatment. I a dVH on 8/30 with absolutely no complications. Very minimal pain and not a drop of blood. I was out of work for exactly 2 weeks. On 10/12 I had my post-op interal exam and was told everything looked great and I was cleared for activity (within moderation). I was absolutely terrified to have sex with my new husband (married 4/27). I finally gave in to my mental fear about 2 weeks ago and we had relations. It was very gentle and pretty quick. This past Saturday morning, we had sex again. It was a bit more rigorous, which I guewss really means more "normal" compared to the first time. While we were having sex, I experienced intense abdominal pain. There was a huge amount of liquid discharge that was mixed was a bit of blood, but I was by no means bleeding heavily. The pain lasted for about 45 minutes and then subsided as did the discharge. I did not think I could have possibly torn anything as there was no real bleeding. I showered and headed out to an afternoon charity event. No abdominal pain. I went to the bathroom (urinated) and within 10 minutes was barely able to stand upright. I could not sit with any pressure on my vagina as the pain was unbearable. A friend helped me back to the bathroom and to my horror, my bowel had prolapsed. I actually thought it might have been my bladder, but nonetheless, there was clearly an organ coming out of my vagina. My husband rushed me to the ER and I had surgery. There were able to restitch the vaginal cuff and I was released the next day - no fever, etc. Thankfully there does not seem to be any damage to the bowel and no infection. I am back on bedrest for at least another week or so. I have a bit of abdominal pain, but don't feel horrible. I have read some similar stories here. I am not sure how I will ever overcome the trauma of seeing my bowel prolapsed through my vagina. How will I ever have sex again with my new husband?!? I know when they repaired the cuff, they did a more rigorous individual stitches with periodic knots vs a continuous stitch. The new stitches are also supposed to disolve very slowly. I don't know how to get past this mentally. And is there anything I can/should be doing to heal and prevent this from happening again? I thought I did everything right last time. I stopped exercising and only recently resumed moderate activity. I waited a month past my internal exam to have sex. I have since read here that at least 3 months is recommended. What else should I be doing?!? How do I ever move past the emotional trauma this has caused?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Re: Vagina Cuff Dehiscence w/ Bowel Prolapse

sister. My heart just breaks for you as I read this. I don't know how to get over this but I couldn't just leave your post out of this. I'm sure your dh is just as traumatized. It is going to take a lot of communication and "oneness" on this one. Is your dr going to look at you again in several wks to check the area? Did s/he give you a time to resume intercourse?
Unread 11-19-2012, 10:49 AM

My original surgeon's partner and his PA were on call this weekend, so he performed the repair. He told me to schedule an appointment with my original surgeon for next week. I wouldn't consider sex for at least 3 months, but I was honestly about 10 weeks post-op this past time. Ugh. I am so horrified. I don't think I will ever get that image out of my mind. I was struggling with sex before, but now? I guess I'll know more after my post- op appointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM

I am really sorry to hear this and must admit I am quite afraid of resuming sex even before I read your post. Now I'm terrified. I will certainly discuss this with my surgeon at my Dec. 11th. appt. Heck I'm even terrified of that appt.

I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM

Oh my gosh! I have no words but wanted to tell you how sorry I am that this happened to you and your husband. Of course I would ask your surgeon his opinion but I wonder if some sort of PTSD counseling is needed? Definitely something to consider if you are not able to get past this without professional help. I am not sure if most of us could carry on after such a terrifying event :-(

I have an appointment tomorrow at seven weeks post op for some intestinal complications and possible vaginal infection. This is a good reminder to ask how my vaginal cuff is healing. Three weeks ago I still had tons of stitches!

Hang in there and I am hopeful someone will chime in who has been through this! Sending you many many many hugs. I'm on my mobile so apologies for any typos!!
Unread 11-19-2012, 12:47 PM

mm

This is truly a traumatic experience for you so first let me give you some

You move through this as you would any majot trauma....slowly and with help. Fom my own experience with a traumatic event things you may, can, should do include:
  • Talking to your dr
  • Journalling to get the fears out
  • Finding a counsellor to help you work through the trauma
  • Medication for the anxiety, especially when you go to resume intercourse
  • Possible alternative therapies like acupuncture or hypnosis.
  • Giving youself the gift of time to allow you to work through your anxiety

Yes it is / was horrific so acknowledge that and try t o find your ways to cope with it.

Unread 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Sorry you went through this.

I'd like to say this was the first time I'd heard this story. It's not. It's horribly traumatic.

The good news is - since you were stitched by hand this time, you should be fine in the future. Hope this recovery goes better for you.
Unread 11-19-2012, 06:58 PM

I am so sorry this happened to you and can't imagine the devastation. Please keep us updated on your progress. I had a dvh just two days after yours and am terrified of sex. My hubby and I decided to wait twelve weeks, and that's this Saturday!
Unread 11-19-2012, 07:04 PM

Oh my! I have been quite worried about the vaginal cuff. I even told my hubby last night that maybe we should wait a bit longer than the 6 weeks. Now after readin this I'm even more freaked out! How scary and awful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that!!
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM

I'm so sorry! My dr/surgeon tells her patients to wait 8 weeks, not 6, because they are finding that cauterized cuffs take longer to heal. She told me has never heard of a dehiscence after 8 weeks. I'll definitely share your story with her at my 7 week appt. DH and I will be sure to wait the full 8 weeks, too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register