New diagnosis of fibroids: experiences? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New diagnosis of fibroids: experiences? New diagnosis of fibroids: experiences?

Unread 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
New diagnosis of fibroids: experiences?

I just found out on Monday that I have fibroids. I have a family history (first-degree relatives), so it's not totally unexpected. Both my mother and aunt have had the surgery. My gyn estimates the uterus size at around a 12-14 week pregnancy (which explains my rapidly expanding girth I guess). I've had severely heavy periods for as long as I can remember (including massive clots). I've taken oral contraceptives on and off for most of my teenage and adult years.

Right now I have a Mirena IUD, which has calmed the bleeding significantly. But then I started having cramping before and during my periods. Weird, painful cramps. Back pain. And gas! I never really had cramps before. I went in to the gyn, and she thought it might be the IUD moving around. But the ultrasound found these giant fibroids. So now I'm at a crossroads. I remember always dreaming about getting the darn thing out, since it would stop the bleeding and anemia. Now it's a possibility, I need to make sure it's the right one. Thing is, I'm 29. Menopause won't show up for a long time, if family history says anything. I'm not concerned about preserving my fertility, but it's still a really long-term decision. Gyn doesn't really thing ablation is best, since it tends to work for around 5 years (and it doesn't treat the fibroids). UAE is also on the table, but since there isn't really long term data on effectiveness, I'm not sure of taking such a risk. And not sure about having tiny little beads in my arteries. I'm leaning toward the surgery right now. It would have to be LAVH, since it's kind of large. And my ovaries are a-ok.

On top of all of that, I have grad school, bipolar disorder, AND lupus to worry about. I have another appointment in one month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Re: New diagnosis of fibroids: experiences?

Hi Brown_seamonkey

You are on the young side for hysterectomy, especially if you think you may want to have a child someday. i had huge fibroids (mom did too) but i was able to have my kids before the problems with anemia, bleeding and cramps hit. I never had the IUD either. Did BCPs help you? I don't think I had issues until I got off the pill.

My advice would be to educate yourself. there are many approaches for hysterectomy, and you are not limited to LAVH, in fact you should consider LSH or a davinchi procedure to preserve you cervix
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Hi,
You sound like a strong young woman who has dealt with many challenges. You can get through this. I hope you continue to use this site for support..It helped me so much.
My advice would be to get a second and even third opinion. I too was diagnosed with fibroids and my uterus was enlarged 14 weeks. I was tired and really didnt want to deal with a second opinion (my first was for an ablation), and then I went and found a doctor I trusted, and the procedure (LSH) made sense for me.
I kept my ovaries and cervix. I had the surgery 15 months ago, and was 46 at the time. I have no kids, but am ok with that decision for me. I remember my surgeon asked me of I was planning to have kids, so she may have had some ideas/suggestions to tell me if that was what I was planning. She is a "fertility surgeon"at a very reputable hospital here in Boston.
So I hope you can keep asking good questions and seeking different medical opinions. You will find the right fit for you, and once you have the procedure, you will feel so much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM

Gosh you sound like a pretty wise young woman. I think it is wise you realize this is not a quick decision. Make sure to educate yourself on all possibilities.

If you don't remember anything else I say remember these two please.

Get a second opinion, even if you love your doc. You can then choose between the two. (This was best decision # 1 for me)

Get a pocket calender for your purse and just start keeping some notes. There is room in other areas to jot down lists of questions you have, things the doc says etc. It all gets very overwhelming and this has truly been a great resource to have.

I had a myomectomy (fibroid removal) like you I originally thought I couldn't wait for the day I could get my hysterectomy but when the chance finally came I decided it just wasn't the right option (at that time) for me. My main concern was ANY risk to my sexual experience. I am just turning 40 don't want anymore kids but after 20 years of marriage I don't want to lose anything in that dept. I didn't want to risk it if there was another option. As you will come to find out it is is just a risk...not all people have the same experience.

Make sure the decision is right for you.

Hang in there

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register