LAVH Kept one ovary. Early menopause? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kept one ovary.  Early menopause? Kept one ovary. Early menopause?

Unread 01-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Kept one ovary. Early menopause?

Hi! I am about 6 months post-op from my LAVH. I had only my uterus and right tube removed (left ovary and tube were removed during a previous surgery). I kept my right ovary as I am 36 and my doctor expressed concerns about me going through menopause so early. I had a pretty easy recovery, though the surgery did not solve my chronic pelvic pain (due to adhesions and endo).
I'm wondering, now, about the likelihood of going through early menopause with having just one ovary. Has anyone experienced an ovary failing after hysterectomy and early menopause? For the last week or so, I have had severe night sweats every night. I wake up so soaking wet that I have to change my clothes. I have also been experiencing a lot of vaginal dryness over the last couple of months, which had never been an issue for me previously. I have been having difficulty sleeping and am so tired during the day that at times, it's difficult for me to function or I can barely stay awake. Any thoughts on if this sounds like menopause? or could I still be experiencing some hormonal imbalance/fluctuation from the surgery? I'll, of course, check with my doctor if it persists, but just curious if this has happened to anyone else.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2017, 07:52 PM

After my hysterectomy I got awful night sweats! I have both my ovaries. Cervix still there. Just uterus and falopian tubes removed. Surgeon said sometimes the Ovaries go into shock. It has calmed down some but I still get them. I am moody, exhausted after doing little things. Cant sleep well. He said it will go away. I hope so. I feel like a different person. Someone told me sometimes it can take up to a year to be back to normal. SMH. I hope you feel better soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krchelle View Post
Hi! I am about 6 months post-op from my LAVH. I had only my uterus and right tube removed (left ovary and tube were removed during a previous surgery). I kept my right ovary as I am 36 and my doctor expressed concerns about me going through menopause so early. I had a pretty easy recovery, though the surgery did not solve my chronic pelvic pain (due to adhesions and endo).
I'm wondering, now, about the likelihood of going through early menopause with having just one ovary. Has anyone experienced an ovary failing after hysterectomy and early menopause? For the last week or so, I have had severe night sweats every night. I wake up so soaking wet that I have to change my clothes. I have also been experiencing a lot of vaginal dryness over the last couple of months, which had never been an issue for me previously. I have been having difficulty sleeping and am so tired during the day that at times, it's difficult for me to function or I can barely stay awake. Any thoughts on if this sounds like menopause? or could I still be experiencing some hormonal imbalance/fluctuation from the surgery? I'll, of course, check with my doctor if it persists, but just curious if this has happened to anyone else.
Thanks!
Unread 01-05-2017, 08:13 PM
Re: Kept one ovary. Early menopause?

Hey - similar to you am just 42 and they left one ovary! Why dont you go and get your hormones tested - plus your thyroid and cortisol which all play a role too. The night sweats would indicate some imbalance for sure. I have full PMS symptoms despite no uterus but am taking some agnus cactus. I'm heading to a naturopath shortly as i respond better to alternative tinctures etc...The testing is expensive but worth getting done. Hope it all works out - i do think we experience early menopause with one ovary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2017, 06:33 AM

I agree with Yperez1015; I've posted on this many times before. It's likely that your remaining ovary has gone into shock because its main blood supply - the uterine artery - has been severed, and it may take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to establish a new supply. In the meantime, for the night sweats, keep your bedroom temperature around 60-65 degrees, choose loose fitting cotton nightclothes, and arrange your bedding in layers, that can be added or removed as necessary. Also try a few old fashioned sleep aids, including a 6 hour caffeine curfew, a 1 hour electronics curfew, and a daily half hour walk. Also, if you're okay with eating soy, then 1-2 daily servings of tofu, edamame, or soy milk can help with hormonal balance until your remaining ovary resumes normal functioning. Best wishes for your continued recovery!
Unread 01-06-2017, 05:10 PM

Thank you so much, ladies, for your replies and suggestions. I have heard of the ovary "going to sleep" or shutting down temporarily, but I did think that was more of an immediate thing right after surgery. Is it common to be experiencing this 6 months after the surgery? It's also odd, because I do sometimes feel a little "PMS-y", with moodiness and cramps and that oh so familiar endo pain seeming to come at the same time monthly. So, since the night sweats, sleeplessness and dryness are newer symptoms, in the last few weeks, I'm wondering if an earlier menopause is possible.
I will definitely try some of things you have mentioned and see if that helps! Then, maybe back to the GYN...again. I feel like I have a better relationship with her than most of my good friends and family members... lol
Unread 01-07-2017, 03:36 PM

I dont see why not. Once its removed i dont believe everything else will continue to work the same as if it wasnt. They said you get phantom pains etc with any surgery. After crying about the changes i am going through i am going to hit the books and see how to deal with these symptoms naturally. Honestly meds seem to bring other issues while helping with current ones. I suffered from depression took zoloft got an allergic reaction. Prozac helped but i became an everyday drinker and my personality changed. I took to yoga, meditation, downloaded sleep hypnosis and meditation apps and became more aware of my emotional health to help me overcome my depression which i did. I learned to deal with it and catch it before it gets worse. Its still a battle but its better than having kidney failure due to the meds that they always want to push on you. My gyn wanted to put me pre menopausle before my surgery and remove everything. I saw a gyn Surgeon that said he can do it without the meds. The night sweats, ive learned to sleep in layers lol most times naked with a sheet and comforter. When i felt sad and started crying cause i found a pregnancy test in a drawer, i acknowledged the sadness, said its ok to be sad. Wiped my face and did a facial to feel better lol took some ibuprofen for the occasional cramps and thanked my lucky stars that i made it through surgery, no cancer and i dont look 7 months pregnant anymore lol only time i will take meds is if my life depends on it. Menopause early or late we all have to go through it at some point. I hope its quick lol so many changes ... i hope all goes well. We are all in this together!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krchelle View Post
Thank you so much, ladies, for your replies and suggestions. I have heard of the ovary "going to sleep" or shutting down temporarily, but I did think that was more of an immediate thing right after surgery. Is it common to be experiencing this 6 months after the surgery? It's also odd, because I do sometimes feel a little "PMS-y", with moodiness and cramps and that oh so familiar endo pain seeming to come at the same time monthly. So, since the night sweats, sleeplessness and dryness are newer symptoms, in the last few weeks, I'm wondering if an earlier menopause is possible.
I will definitely try some of things you have mentioned and see if that helps! Then, maybe back to the GYN...again. I feel like I have a better relationship with her than most of my good friends and family members... lol
Unread 01-07-2017, 05:03 PM

My ob said 50% go into early menopause. I restarted my estrogen tablets (inserted vaginally) after my surgery and night sweats went away along with the crazy crying for no reason. It helps with vaginal dryness and makes sex seem like something I might like again. Talk to your doc sooner than later. Ps the cream is messy- go for the tablets!
Unread 01-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teambrant View Post
My ob said 50% go into early menopause. I restarted my estrogen tablets (inserted vaginally) after my surgery and night sweats went away along with the crazy crying for no reason. It helps with vaginal dryness and makes sex seem like something I might like again. Talk to your doc sooner than later. Ps the cream is messy- go for the tablets!
Wow! 50%?! Thanks for sharing your experience. I was just going to wait a bit. Frankly, I'm just sick of doctor appointments. Lol. But maybe I will go sooner. If some light hormones would help, I'm all for it. Did they test your levels after the surgery to see if you were menopausal or did they just go off of your symptoms?
Unread 01-08-2017, 10:43 AM

My OB started me on vagifem suppository at age 47. Didn't do expensive testing of my harmones just regular blood work. After my annual ob exam they Said I was premenopausal and I was getting drier and using lube more. I notice I feel like having sex more and I don't get PMS, crying jags or hot flashes.

I'm a young 52 now and figure I get about 10 more years of crazy sex and I'm not ready to throw on the towel just yet. After hysterectomy I was tearing up for no reason and waking up drenched with sweat. Resumed vagifem and the team at symptoms gone. Call your Dr the cream type you can rub into vulva if they don't want anything I need the vagina.
Unread 01-08-2017, 10:58 AM

Because I'm cost conscious I've leaned an equivalent the my sister's ob recommends. The Estradiol tabs at .5 mg strength is $14 for 30 pills. You just stick them up there by hand. Rx is twice a week.

I asked for those and my nurse wrote for the estradiol cream which is messier and just as expensive as vagifem. Sigh.

Vagifem tablets that come on a plunger are $300 for 15 pills. Yes $20 each. When I had a flat fee rx coverage I didn't care, now that I have a high deductible I'm paying attention to cost

Anyway, hopefully my right ovary will restabliah its blood supply and start doing its job. Until then, we all need a little help!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register