Back to work - Wardrobe? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to work - Wardrobe? Back to work - Wardrobe?

Unread 03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

Hi Sisters,

I go back to work half days next week and the dress code is on my mind.

How did ladies who returned to office work manage with dress pants? Panty hose? Skirts?

I'd like to know what was most comfortable..

Thanks in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

I am thinking long skirts that maybe have a little elasticity in the waist would work. Or pants with elastic waist, you can find some really nice ones. Not knowing your size....Lane Bryant has super comfortable flattering easy fitting clothes. There sizes range from 12 up
Unread 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

I wore my 'fat' skirts for a few weeks with knee boots so I didn't have to wear panty hose. The skirts were two sizes larger than I normally wear and sit lower on the waist. I also wore long shirts that were untucked and unbottoned my pants with a loose belt on. I avoided the tight waist items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

i didnt have much issue, i had TVh so obviously no scar, but some swelly belly. i have gotten back into most of my pre-op clothes
Unread 03-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Back to work - wardrobe?

I gave some thought to this before my surgery, because I had to scramble to find things to wear to work after my emergency laproscopic appendectomy 15 months ago.

Generally, I wear pantsuits so I use knee high hose instead of panythose. I ordered two pairs of pants with elastic waists and will wear them with sweater sets - which will disguise the elastic waist. Also, I ordered a couple of A-line dresses and will wear them with a cardigan sweater. I found the pants on line at Lands End and the dresses on line at Catherines Plus Sizes. I know I won't have much variety but I will be comfortable - much more important!
Unread 03-28-2008, 04:52 AM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

I had a total and actually pantyhose felt great. They kept my stomach and incision area tight which felt better than without. If you haven't tried pantyhose, I would recommend them. You may be surprised.
Unread 03-28-2008, 06:43 AM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

I was lucky. I lost a ton of weight during this adventure so I was able to wear my regular work clothes (slacks, dresses, skirts, suites) - most with pins in them.
Unread 03-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

Work clothes are an issue for me because I can't fit into most of my pre-op pants still, and can't really afford (and don't want to spend money on) new larger clothes for this temporary recovery period.

It has been pretty uncomfy to sit in my office chair for extended periods of time in the two pairs of pants that currently fit me, but my manager has been pretty understanding and has let me go home early to continue working from there on my couch in my jammies.

I would like to be back to normal, but must be patient.
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

If you need some temporary larger clothes, I'd suggest the Goodwill or a consignment shop. But I'll share with you a little trick I learned when I was pregnant with my oldest: if you have pants or a skirt with a button and button hole closure, get some sturdy rubber bands or hair elastics. Loop the elastic through the button hold, then around the button. This will add a couple of inches of waist room, plus some stretchiness to the waist line of your jeans, pants and skirt. Then zip it up as far as you can, but be sure to wear a top, cardigan you can button, or something that will cover everything if you need to unzip all the way! Fortunately, the "baby doll" tops that are fashionable right now are perfect for this!
Unread 03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Back to work - Wardrobe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahireh
If you need some temporary larger clothes, I'd suggest the Goodwill or a consignment shop. But I'll share with you a little trick I learned when I was pregnant with my oldest: if you have pants or a skirt with a button and button hole closure, get some sturdy rubber bands or hair elastics. Loop the elastic through the button hold, then around the button. This will add a couple of inches of waist room, plus some stretchiness to the waist line of your jeans, pants and skirt. Then zip it up as far as you can, but be sure to wear a top, cardigan you can button, or something that will cover everything if you need to unzip all the way! Fortunately, the "baby doll" tops that are fashionable right now are perfect for this!
The elastic is a great idea! Thanks for that! I had considered going to Goodwill to shop for the larger pants, but it would be a waste of money (even if it isn't much). I'll try the elastics!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register