SAH Day 9 and nervous about taking steristrips off | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day 9 and nervous about taking steristrips off Day 9 and nervous about taking steristrips off

Unread 06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Day 9 and nervous about taking steristrips off

It is Day 9 for me post-SAH. Have had lots more energy than I expected, which has made it hard to know if i am resting enough.

I'm supposed to take steristrips off after a week, but I've been really nervous about the incision all along and am nervous about having the incision uncovered and just out there. Is it ok to cover it with some gauze or does that defeat the purpose??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Re: Day 9 and nervous about taking steristrips off

I had the steri strips and they were peeling off. I was also scared but what I did is pulled off the ones that were almost off and it didnt hurt at at all or pull anything off. I didnt put any gauze but I have been swapping the incision with alcohol after shower.
Unread 06-17-2012, 02:01 PM

My dr told me to leave them on until they came off but they were on there good and not even peeling. At 2 and a half weeks I saw my dr and he took them off using tweezers! My tummy was still tender but it did not hurt.
After the strips were off I made sure they were towel dry after my showers. I have also been massaging them with Rosehip oil with lavender oil mixed in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Mine were starting to peel off. I just took them off now before a shower, and there was a tiny drop of blood. Which kind of confirms my sense that I am doing too much. I've never had surgery before and the incision stuff is scaring me silly!
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM

I let mine fall off naturally. I made sure I used soap (gentle soap) and water on them when I was in the shower. They didn't last a full week. My nurse told me to make sure I let water and soap run over the steri strips.

If you are having any drainage you can definitely place some guaze on them. Just change it everyday and give it a chance to have some air also. I also used a sanitary pad in my underwear to help with any drainage issues.
Unread 06-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Thanks! I was told to let water run on them too. They were starting to peel off on their own. Gauze + airing sounds good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register