keeping ovaries with PCO? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keeping ovaries with PCO? keeping ovaries with PCO?

Unread 06-10-2003, 08:19 PM
keeping ovaries with PCO?

What are the chances of me keeping my ovaries after a hyst? I also have PCO so I'm thinking that I may be better without them but the idea of start HRT at 33 is a little scary. Does anyone out there have PCO as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2003, 08:49 PM

Hi Crampy,

I didn't have PCOS, but I know there are ladies here who have (or had) PCOS so hopefully someone will be along who can share her experiences.

Here is a link to a resource list from the top of this forum. Scroll down to see the links to websites with great information on PCOS.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...p?s=&forumid=4

I can understand why you are concerned about taking HRT at only age 33, if your ovaries are removed. But if you only have a hyst (no ovaries removed) that will not "cure" PCOS, from what I know about it. Your gyn may recommend that your ovaries are removed too.

Keep reading and posting and we'll do our best to provide support. I know these decisions are not easy. Sending hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 06-12-2003, 04:19 AM

Just wanted to add that PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) is a collection of symptoms, and only one of them is cysts on the ovaries. Having them removed will not necessarily cure your PCOS - as the symptoms are not all caused by the cysts, if you get me.
PCO (polycystic ovaries) is different to PCOS as the only symptoms of PCO are the cysts, therefore if the ovaries are removed, you wont have PCO any more, so it really depends on whether you have PCO or PCOS as to whether you will have more success from a hyst.
I have PCOS and have been told if I have a hysterectomy my ovaries will be removed as standard practise. They will not leave "diseased" ovaries in a patient, in most cases. But that is the NHS in the UK, it may be different where you live
Here's a link that might help:
http://www.womens-health.co.uk/pcos.htm
There's nothing about hysterectomy on there, but it does tell you the difference between PCO and PCOS.
Lisa
xxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2003, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the answers.
It pretty much confirms what I already suspected. Since my ovaries are part of the problem they will have to go too! Does anyone know if not having ovaries will get rid of my PCOS symptoms? That would be heaven!!
Unread 06-12-2003, 09:47 AM

Crampy,

There's a great PCOS website that may also help you answer your questions, called Soulcysters.com . You may find some answers there.

The primary answer, though, is if it is the entire syndrome, as Lisa says, removing the ovaries will keep you from getting any more cysts. However, as the other issues (insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, high triglycerides) are related to an overall endocrine imbalance, removing the ovaries may only be part of the equation. Most ladies with the full-blown syndrome also need an endocrinologist's help with all the other issues.

The good news is that we know more about PCOS all the time, and you may want to ask your GYN about finding an endocrinologist who can help with the "whole" picture.

Good luck to you!

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register