initial Gyny visit | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

initial Gyny visit initial Gyny visit

Unread 04-22-2002, 10:26 AM
initial Gyny visit

hello ladies,
Dont think i am totaly crazy but............

Ihave my visit to hospital to see Gyny (UK) May 1st, i am worried about what to tell him about my problems, as i have been the way i am for so long , i dont know what is normal and what is not.
I know the "bulges " protruding are not normal, but i went to hospital about 2 years ago for a vaginal scan, the outcome was "normal", but when i lay back, so does everything else, infact i sometimes lay back and push backwards, with my thumb, to pushback whatever it is that is there,
I'm assuming it is a prolaps of "something" though not sure what! is is the rectum end of vagina,
Also have similar "bulge" front end of vagina
I did prolaps 10 years ago when pregnant with second child, but that was d*****atly the cervix that protruded, as i could see it!!/
I have just sat and thourght i'd wtite a list, and brain fell silent and don't know what to jot down, any clues what to do for the best, I am ok brousing through this site but am frightened will see Dr and say nothing. In the UK gynies have a reputation ( and justly) of being unapproachable and tend to treat you as you are a child, making things up.
I feel like this appointment is my golden oppertunity to get "sorted out", if you understand me, and i don't want to fluff it!! LOL
Sorry for being so long winded, but any advise would be welcome, Hugs and kisses xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-22-2002, 11:01 AM
initial Gyny visit

Hi Jane, and no, of course you're not crazy! The symptoms you describe sound like you probably have some type of prolapse, possibly with a cystocele (which would make the bulge into the vagina come from the front) or rectocele (same thing but from the back) or maybe enterocele (when the intestine pushes in the back wall of the vagina). You may be able to take an educated guess as to which it is by paying close attention to your symptoms. Do you have to urinate frequently? Do you sometimes have the feeling, as many of us do during the later stages of pregnancy, like you have to urinate all the time? Do you sometimes have to stand up and sit back down again to empty your bladder? Do you leak urine when you cough, sneeze or laugh? If so, the bladder is a likely culprit. If the problems occur more around bowel movements (discomfort, or constipation, or difficulty in passing them) then it's likely at the other end. I was one of the lucky ones who had both, and the cervix pushing out through the middle to boot! The good news is that if it's diagnosed it can all be repaired... in my case I had a TVH with A&P repair and resuspension to fix the vagina and make a recurrence much less likely. While we were in there I also had BSO to simplify the hormone replacement issue.
As far as what you can do to increase the likelihood of a productive visit with your DR, make sure that you describe ALL your symptoms whether you think they might be related or not. Also make sure he or she does an exam standing up as well as lying down, particularly if things shift around as you describe. Mine had me get in the stirrups and then told me to cough...that was enough to show her what the problem was. You have a right to be listened to and taken seriously...it will help if you can state your symptoms clearly and without too much emotion but be firm about the fact that something is definitely wrong. If your DR doesn't listen then it's time to get a second opinion...perhaps in that case one of the other UK sisters could help you out with a recommendation? I have to plead ignorance in the area of your health care system and hope that others with experience there can lend a hand. Good luck, and I hope you get some answers and some relief soon!
s,
- Linda
Unread 04-22-2002, 12:13 PM
UK Gynos

Hi Jane,
I have already e-mailed you but I just want to say stand by your guns, You know what you want and what you need. When you go see the Dr. do not be fobbed off. Tell him what is going on in your life,how you feel, and all the things that have happened. Your G.P has passed you on because he knows this, and must agree that this is the next step for you. let the Gyno disscuse the alternatives, but in the end it is your body and down to you. If you feel the alternatives are unacceptable to you, then stand your ground. I am not a forceful person, and will usually bend, but the Hyst to me was important, I did not want to carry on in pain, heavy bleeding and anemia, feeling tired and ill all the time. You are not a number but a person with every right to a normal healthy life. In the U.k if we do not have a private healthcare plan then we have to rely on the N.H.S, you have paid into this all your life, you are entitled to treatment.
Once again you have every right to this op if it is making your life and health unbearable.
Please be strong when you go, and do not be put off if the Hyst is what you want.

Best wishes, and all my support

JuneT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 03:07 AM
initial Gyny visit

Hi, I live in UK as well and I can relate to your distress at the thought of seeing the gynae. Where about in UK are you? I live in Wiltshire. My first experience was terible and I cried after the visit. I felt utterly humiliated and angry with the whole process. I went back to my GP and asked her for another referral and got one. It helps that I have private healthcare though, and I got the appointment for the 2nd opinion 3 days later. I will probably go along with this doctor as I am comfortable with him. If you are in the same location and want to talk to me about the dr. I am seeing, please don't hesitate to contact me. My own experience tells me that any changes to your boday at all which do not go away after 2 weeks, is something that needed to be seen to by a dr. and insist on a treatment if you need to. Take care and I hope that your May 1st appointment goes well. hongwah
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:01 AM
initial Gyny visit

Dear Linda
thank you for you reply, yes i do have problems, with bladder, i wee alot, so i drink less, then wee less, if i have 2 mugs of tea in the morning i will "go" up to 7 times, i cannot hold a wee at all, i sometimes "dribble" but not wet my pants, great fun ehh,. I cannot keep a tampon inside and when i laugh (do alot!) caugh, sneeze i dribble and also drop! your post cheered me up as did relpies from June (who kindly emailed me from UK) and Hogwash UK so i will keep in touch with the ladies from the UK as well love to all, hope everyone keeps well xx
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:35 PM
initial Gyny visit

Hi Jane!

When I first went to check out my problems, I thought it was prolapse because my cervix was falling into my vaginal canal (pain during intercourse, difficulty with tampon insertion- now I spit them out and am celibate against my will !) It turned out that my uterus was so full of fibroids that it had grown up and over my pelvic bone and was (still is) crowding all my internal organs. What seemed like a prolapse was actually that the weight of my uterus was causing it to try to find room to grow any way it could (gravity won, I guess!)

All of this was determined through a number of tests - pelvics, abdominal and vaginal ultrasounds, uteroscopy.

It seems like there is consensus among the U.K. sisters that gyny's there seem to lack a certain bed side manner. Is the system such that you can ask for and pay for tests or does it depend on the gyny's willingness to order them?

You said you've experienced prolapse before so, if this feels different, hopefully the gyny will listen to your experience talking.
I do hope that the medical system there is such that you can continue to search for help until you get it. It's your body and I believe you have every right to be well.

My thoughts are with you,
Cecee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register