Scheduled TLH 5 days and counting. Now I get scared?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days and counting.  Now I get scared?! 5 days and counting. Now I get scared?!

Unread 06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
5 days and counting. Now I get scared?!

Ok... So...

I am scheduled for my TLH on Thursday, June 11 at 7:30 am. I am my doc's first surgery of the day. I'm very excited and have been looking forward to this for quite some time. Until today.

My surgeon was recommended by my GYN because he did HER hysterectomy. He was the first doc in my state to do a DaVinci (but I'm just getting a regular ol' TLH) and he's very up and up on the latest technology. I feel very comfortable in his hands and he's got a good, calming energy about him.

However, I suffer from depression, anxiety and adult ADD. One of the things I'm required to do is stop taking my ADD meds until after the surgery because there's a chance it may interfere with the general anesthesia.

I'm not coping well without my meds. You see, they enhance my antidepressants and I hit the wall today. Oh, boy, did I ever!

Part of what really got me going today is that I want to get my hair cut. *laugh* I know, I know. What a strange thing to set off an episode, right? Well, I want short hair and I think I've finally found a style that will work with my very ROUND face.

But then the doubt crept in. "What if I don't like it? What if it makes me feel less feminine? Oh, crap. What if my TLH makes me feel less feminine? OH NO!"

Insert crying fit here.

It was terrible.

Now I can't stop thinking about what defines a woman, what defines femininity.

And see, I'm even keeping my ovaries, so I "shouldn't" have the hormone withdrawals ... But you never know...

So, I guess what I'm getting at ... is...

Do you still feel like a woman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Re: 5 days and counting. Now I get scared?!

Boy do I know how you feel!!!!! I am Bipolar and am losing my right tube and ovary and hopefully keeping my left ovary if everything looks okay once the gets inside.

I had a mini meltdown a few weeks back becuase I was mourning the loss of my womanhood. I have quit mourning and am now celebrating!!!! I even went out and bought a bunch of new pretty panties to wear after I have healed!!! I am actually starting to look very forward to this surgery. I am very much looking forward to a new me!!!!

I am sorry about your meds. I can't take my morning meds the morning of my surgery but it will not affect me any. But I do understand what you are going through! Please know that you are not alone!!!!! If you ever need anything we are all here for you!! ANYTIME!!!!!!!

Unread 06-07-2009, 09:29 AM

Wow, it sounds like you are in the best of hands and couldn't ask for a better referral! As far as your hair, I always love getting my hair all cut off even when it is very long. I do tend to want to wear just a bit more makeup though. It's great that you are able to keep your ovaries. That will likely make your recovery go much smoother. Just be patient though. It can take months to feel like they are functioning normally again. I think that Lisa's idea about pampering herself by buying something very feminine is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2009, 07:10 PM

Awww I know how you feel. I went through my "I'm not really a girl anymore" after my surgery. I went so far as to tell my that even transsexualls have boobies and a vagina I struggled with those feelings for about a month and then I realized that what makes me a woman is that God himself created me a woman. I was designed this way, so no matter if I have lost a couple of "girl parts" I am still a woman and so are you sweetie.
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Hi all--I just got home from the hospital yesterday from having my
surgery. I had my left ovary, left tube, and uterus taken out due to 6 ovarian cyst ruptures. And when henopened me up i had so much endometriosis that my ovary and tube was attached to my uterus like glue...They left the right one in along with the tube.. I also had hernis repair. I am feeling better day by day.
I to take wellbutrin daily and was allowed to take it nthe day of surgery. I wish you luck. <Email address removed for your safety and privacy.>

lauren
Unread 06-07-2009, 07:45 PM

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I am having surgery the same day (mine is at 8:30) and I have to say I am freaking out. I am trying to approach this calmly but I have been less than calm. I have OCD and Anxiety and I totally forgot to take my meds this morning.. oops. Needless to say i have been an anxious wreck all day. So, i know how you are feeling. ((HUGS)) to you!! I am sure your surgery will go well.
Unread 06-08-2009, 06:25 AM

I replied yesterday... I had my surgery on June 3rd...one great advice I want to share with anyone who is going to have surgery... I personally know my anesthesiologist and he gave me and epidural and general during surgery. They leave the epidural in for a day or 2 which is called an epidural PCEA pump. When you have pain you press the button. I highly recommend this...talk to your doctor and anesthesiologist about it. good luck all
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Ladies, thank you all so VERY much for your comforting thoughts and experiences. I'm a little nervous but not as much as I was. I finally realized that I've still got my bubbly girls and hopefully, I'll still have at least one of my ovaries.

Ya'll have been incredibly helpful and I appreciate it all so very much.

I'll be thinking about you Dew2004 and limarie!

And limarie, I realized you're right about pampering! I am SO burning all of my period panties! w00h00!
Unread 06-09-2009, 05:46 AM

GOOD LUCK--- WE WILL ALL BE THINKING OF YOU... always remember take your pain meds cuz when your body is relaxed you heal faster.

BEST OF LUCK YOU WILL DO FINE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register