Going Back to Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going Back to Work Going Back to Work

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Going Back to Work

I am 54 years old and having a complete hysterectomy. All I know is the doctor said everything is going. I have fibroids and one looks suspicious. I even still have my period. Anyway, does
anyone know the average time someone is off work after one of these surgeries? They keep asking me at work and I don't know what to say. I have a desk job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Going Back to Work

hi Jackie,

I too have a desk job, but I asked a co-worker who had a hys last fall about the time away from the office. If I remember correctly, she was out for about 6-8 wks, maybe slightly longer. She told me that it depends on your recovery & your doctor's orders.
Unread 04-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Hi

I think the average time off is about 6 weeks. Some women need 8 weeks and some women try to go back a little earlier on a part time basis.
It is important to remember that you will have alot of internal stitches that will need to heal. You need a lot of rest. You also need to be able to rest lying down or reclining as much as possible. Sitting is an activity and it will wear you out those first few weeks.
You can help your recovery especially those first few weeks by walking, resting and drinking lot's of fluids. And of course anything else the doctor recommends.
Please ask your doctor what he thinks you will need in terms of recovery time. You should get this in writing to share with your employer and disability insurance provider, if you have one. The doctor may adjust the recommended time off after your first post op follow up.
Even at 6-8 weeks you will be only about 40% healed. Hopefully you will fee pretty good by then. I do! But the complete healing process can take up to a year.
Please keep reading and keep posting.
We are here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2002, 04:56 PM
Going Back to Work

Hi Jackie, Most doc's say around 6 weeks. I think I could have gone back in 4 but what the heck, if I was being paid, I didnt mind milking it a little bit. I have a desk job too, so it wasnt too bad coming back. I can tell you it will take a few weeks to get into the swing of things. I was excited about going back and after a few days, I was some kind of tired. I came home, ate a quick bite and went to bed. I think thats true anytime you have surgery and you are out of sorts for a while. It does take a while to re-adjust to getting back into the routine. Your doc will let you know how long you will have to be out.
Good luck!
Unread 04-23-2002, 05:05 PM
Going Back to Work

Hi Jackie- I had a TAH/BSO on January 28 of this year. I went back to work part-time as a Medical Receptionist at 8 weeks. I really could have gone at 6 but was glad I waited the 8 weeks. I find I still have days that I am more tired then others (this is one of them) and I did not work today. Oh, and by the way I am 49 years old. Take care and I wish you the best. Cathy
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Going Back to Work

Hi Jackie -

I was one of those people who went back to work really early after my TAH/BSO -- and I have a desk job. One thing to keep in mind when returning to work is that while everyone will remember the first day or two back that you've just had surgery they will quickly forget -- it's not like you're wearing a cast on your leg or some other obvious sign that you've just had major surgery (although you could wear your princess crown -- I was ready to do that).

Think about all the things you do during the course of a week even though you have a "desk job" -- with me it includes things like accepting the office supply delivery (like I was going to move those cases of copy paper?); running around to collect timecards (I finally said if you want to get paid you better bring them to my desk); digging through file boxes (which means having the boxes on top lifted away for you), etc.. -- I think you get the jist of this. You may find even getting up and down from your desk umpteen times a day very tiring. I was surprised how pooped I'd get just getting ready for work (putting on pantyhose, blowdrying my hair, making lunch, driving to work, parking . . .).

If you have the luxury of planning 6 to 8 weeks off I'd say go for it! If you feel really great or just plain old itchy to get back to the office you could always go back part-time a little bit earlier.

Good luck!

Leslie
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Going Back to Work

I agree with everything the other sisters have said, it all depends on what kind of activities are involved in your job, whether you are going back part time or full time, what your DOCTOR says, and how you feel. But remember, just because you feel great for a few days at, say, four weeks post op, that doesn't mean there won't be a few days following that when you have unexplained tummy pain or swelling...that's just the way it goes with recovery from this surgery.

My doc wants me out till June 3rd, and then wants me back to work only a few hours a day. I've already been out since the end of October (due to uncontrollable and unpredictable hemorrhaging and anemia), so I actually am looking forward to going back, BUT not before I'm ready. The state disability people may be cutting off my benefits at six weeks (their 'schedule' says that's all I need), but I would rather listen to my docs and my body and not mess up my recovery.

I have a sit-down job but it is very high pressure, we are on deadlines all the time, no chance to take regular breaks, sitting in the same position with no way to elevate feet, and the chairs!! Aaaaaack. The guy who owns my company is nice in a lot of ways, but a real cheapskate when it comes to equipment and furnishings. These are also things to consider when you get ready to go back to work - a pillow to sit on might be in order, I know I'm going to take one in with me.

Thank goodness I can make my own schedule and we have a lot of flexibility - plus it is a 'jeans' environment, so I can wear my baggy drawstring slacks and a t-shirt and at least be as comfy as possible.

Bottom line - ask your doctor how long s/he wants you to stay home and recover, then let them know at work what the doc says. Make sure they realize it could be less or more, depending on how things go.

Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register