I'm nervous about having and if i should have a hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm nervous about having and if i should have a hysterectomy I'm nervous about having and if i should have a hysterectomy

Unread 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm nervous about having and if i should have a hysterectomy

My doctor is recommending a hysterectomy because i have NEVER had a normal pap. Each time the test come back severe dysplasia so the next step is a colpo, then the leep, and i've even had a cone biopsy done and everything comes back clear and normal. so none of my many doctors know whats really going on but since i have had sooo many of these procedures done i no longer have much of a cervix left. I have so little cervix left that this time if the test come back cancerous they can't really do anything except a hysterectomy. the same goes for if i get another severly abnormal pap. there isn't enough cevix left to do anymore scraps or leeps or anything really. she even has a hard time deal with it during the colpos. I'm pretty young and very scared. i don't know what to expect and if there is even another procedure ,treatment, or surgery that can be done. i have my consultation on the 22nd to find out more but i just need some answers now because i'm scared.

thanks in advanced ladies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2008, 06:28 PM

I'm sorry you have to keep facing this. There is a wealth of information on this site and tons of support. You will find loads of posts in the cancer concern forums that you might find interesting too.

I have only had one bad pap, but at my age and being beyond time I would want to have more children I chose the hysterectomy vs more checks and more Leeps etc. It lowers the risk of having more problems too and I would rather feel safer.

Hopefully someone with your exact experience will chime in and have more information for you. I have no idea if there is anything else that could be done.
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM

thank you! it's hard to discuss this with my husband because he could never fully understand how i'm feeling. he's happy with the kids we have but i hate that i could never have more even though i'd be perfectly fine with adopting. it's almost like i'm angry with myself even though it's something i can't control. thank you for taking the time to respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2008, 06:47 PM

My youngest child just turned 14 and I had made the choice a long time ago that I did not want more. Still this made me think twice about it. I read a post recently where someones comment was, "it is the fact that someone else is making the choice for me now" and I couldn't agree more. It is no longer in our hands and if we changed our minds there is nothing we could do about it but adopt.

I think in your shoes my main concern would be if the cervix could hold another pregnancy, I gather that is the Doc's thinking too?

It took me a couple of weeks to get over that after this I can not have more children. It may still bother me later, but I know the hyster is the best option for me.

I have the greatest hubby ever, but I can't and haven't tried discussing what I think about losing my chances to ever have another child. Something only a woman going through it could understand.

Hang in there and remember to make the best choice for you and the family you currently have.
Unread 09-09-2008, 06:48 PM

i see you are in south carolina. my dr is at the medical university in south carolina...which is where i had my lsh. i have been through a few local dr's and no one has ever made me feel more confidant about my decision than my dr in charleston. if you would like his name, please pm me. they offer the best care there.
Unread 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM

cat,

I'm sorry you are going through this! Since they keep finding "abnormal" or atypical cells, it would be my recomendation that you see a gynecological oncologist before you have your surgery. They are the experts when it comes to gynecological cancers, and they will best know what to do and will give you all your options if cancer is even suspect.

As DiVinci said, you might trying popping in over at the Cancer Concerns Forum. Many women there have faced the same dilemma you are facing now.
Check us out at https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Unread 09-11-2008, 04:17 PM

if you're continuing to have paps that show HGSIL, and then the colposcopies and biopsies and leeps are showing no dysplasia, i agree that you should be seeing a gynecologic oncologist so they can further investigate why you're getting abnormal paps but normal biopsies. i would ask if they've done an ecc (endocervical curretage) which would provide a biopsy of a higher area of the cervix than can be seen via colposcopy. and, if you're showing hpv positive each time, then that should be added cause for concern because the longer the hpv infection is active the more likely that cancer/dysplasia will develop. even if you and the doctors decide that a hysterectomy is the next step, i would encourage you to be under the care of a gynecologic oncologist so that the doctors can get a better understanding of exactly what's going on to truly determine whehter the hysterectomy is the right treatment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register