how long before hot flashes start... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long before hot flashes start... how long before hot flashes start...

Unread 03-28-2008, 07:28 PM
how long before hot flashes start...

It's been 8 months for me and I havent had hot flashes or night sweats and I'm not on anything. I need to knock on wood cause I dont want to Jinx myself.

Sherrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Lolee, I also kept ovaries and have experienced night sweats/hot flashes since the day after surgery. I have also had moodiness, from being sexually interested in hubby all the way to chewing out hubby and oldest son for no reason at all!
I plan on asking doc for help at post-op appt next week!
Unread 03-29-2008, 04:38 AM
sweats and flashes

I do not understand what hot flashes and night sweats are. I am almost 11 weeks post op and I still do not understand what the symptoms of menopause are supposed to be.

I have had sweat problems for many years due to anxieties and hyperhydrosis so if I am having hot flashes/sweats, I am not feeling any different than I have for years.

My doctor asked if i wanted hormones and I said no, not yet. I want to know what the feelings of menopause are supposed to feel like. I have tried to read up on it and get no solid answers from the readings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi 4hisglory!

I started having hot flashes right after surgery but these were mild ones and totally manageable--I was so glad to have survived the surgery minus complications that flashes were the least of my concerns! Since then, I continue to have mild flashes off and on, but I hardly notice them anymore--they're just a part of my normal body functioning at this point in my life as far as I am concerned! I suspect that if I were to become upset about having flashes I might start having even more of them, and thereby start a vicious cycle for myself. So, when I have them I just let them "wave" over me, relax myself for the few minutes they are occurring and then I am fine again! I also make sure I have a fan at work and in my bedroom.

The only hrt I use is Estrace vaginal cream for my vaginal dryness and I may even stop using that due to fears of blood clots or other serious side effects. I may instead start using Replens suppositories on a regular basis.

I see menopause as perfectly NATURAL as puberty, menstruation, and childbearing. Women have gone through menopause since the beginnings of time and it is only in the last few decades that menopause has been "medicalized" or seen as something that needs to be "treated". Men go through hormonal changes too as they get older but I sure don't see them getting treated for it most of the time! What's THAT about????

Unfortunately, there are some women who go through hell in terms of hot flashes, night sweats, etc., and it's absolutely fantastic that there are pills, patches and creams out there which can address such symptoms. But some of us, myself included, would rather avoid dealing with the side effects or long term repercussions of hrt (some of which are yet unknown), and have chosen to go through menopause as naturally as possible. I think it is crucial however to make sure that if you don't use hrt that you have a healthy weight, watch your fats, and exercise regularly in order to optimize your bone and cardiovascular health.

Soon after my surgery, the "vitamin cocktail", recipe for which can be found elsewhere on this site, was very helpful in terms of flashes, but I no longer even need that. Avoiding stress as much as possible has also been very helpful to me--I've definitely noticed that if I get upset I immediately get a hot flash. It helps tremendously that I have a super-loving and supportive husband and no children at home. It also seems that now that I am undergoing menopause I have more frequent joint pains, probably due to arthritis, but had I taken hrt I certainly would not have taken it forever, so sooner or later I would have had these pains anyway. (Estrogen is thought to provide protective benefits to joints.)

This is a great website to get your questions answered and for resources, particularly the recommended books section. See you later, and have a great day!
Unread 03-29-2008, 03:47 PM

thank you all for your replies, I guess I will just wait and see. in the meantime, I dont understand why some of us which had the surgery and kept their ovaries are having hot flashes?? I thought that it was only when the ovaries were removed that you would go into sudden menopause.
in the meantime, do you know any good natural remedy for hot flashes or depression due to menopause.?
blessings,
Unread 03-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Queen
SW34

I notice you had surgery two weeks ago - how are you feeling? I'm not on HRT due to Endo and my doc said I couldn't take anyhing for at least 7 months - I'm almost two months out. Not sleeping is the worst for me. Are you on HRT?
Yes I am on HRT patch. My Dr put a patch on me after the surgery. I had no reactions to the name brand patch. When my DH went to get my scripts filled when I left the hospital they filled it with a generic brand. I hated it! I cried all the time and got hot really easy (still have this kindof) and I was very moody. I called the pharmacy and asked to pay out of pocket for the name brand because of my side effects. My insurance wouldn't let me switch since I just filled it 2 weeks ago-you've got to love insurance at least this has been my only problem so far. Why is you Dr waiting till 7 months? Do you still have your ovaries? I had everything taken even my cervix. I also have trouble sleeping! But I had troubles before due to endo pain. Kind of getting used to it, but I sure love it when I sleep through the night!
Unread 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Those pesky flashes....

4his glory, a natural remedy for the hot flashes could be the "vitamin cocktail" I mentioned in my post above which you can find elsewhere on this website.....some women swear by black cohosh tea (if I spelled that right) but I never tried it and other such remedies.....as for the depression, some women benefit from certain antidepressants that help both with the depression and the hot flashes (for example: Lexapro). Try using the search button on this website and see what you come up with.
Unread 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebelle76
Lolee, I also kept ovaries and have experienced night sweats/hot flashes since the day after surgery. I have also had moodiness, from being sexually interested in hubby all the way to chewing out hubby and oldest son for no reason at all!
I plan on asking doc for help at post-op appt next week!
Exactly the same for me. I'm asking my doc on Monday at my next appt! This is getting old lol! Good luck for you!
Unread 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hisglory
thank you all for your replies, I guess I will just wait and see. in the meantime, I dont understand why some of us which had the surgery and kept their ovaries are having hot flashes?? I thought that it was only when the ovaries were removed that you would go into sudden menopause.
in the meantime, do you know any good natural remedy for hot flashes or depression due to menopause.?
blessings,
Apparently, sometimes the ovaries are in shock and kick in later on, just not immediately. Other times, not often I've heard, the ovaries just give up altogether and don't start working again.
Unread 03-29-2008, 08:17 PM

Three months and no menapausal symptoms. I am on megace, a progestin for cancer cells in wash, & which doctor says may be helping with symptoms.
A relative of mine that is very heavy, had hysterectomy with ovaries removed three years ago & never went into menapause or took HRT. Her doctor said that because of her weight, she still produces enough estogen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register