TVH, A&P repair - pain expectations | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH, A&P repair - pain expectations TVH, A&P repair - pain expectations

Unread 05-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Question - TVH, A&P repair - pain expectations TVH, A&P repair - pain expectations

I really hate the unknown so I'm trying to get an idea of how much pain this particular procedure causes in the first day or two. Like on a scale of 1 to 10, although I do realize everybody's threshold is different. I was actually more calm having my 2nd and 3rd baby because at least I knew what I was in for, but the first one had me on pins and needles wondering what it would be like. I'm kinda feeling the same way right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Re: TVH, A&P repair - pain expectations

As you can see from my signature I had mine hyst done abdominally along with other repairs which included harvesting fascia from my own thigh to use for the sacral colpopexy. What I am trying to express is that my surgery what much more invasive than the vaginal approach you are having but I tolerated the pain fine AND without narcotics. I cannot tolerate pain meds due to vomitting immediately when they injected it so I got by on 800mg of ibuprofen and some tylenol for the 1st few days then just ibuprofen. Days 1-2 post op I was about a 8 on the pain scale but with the ibuprofen and tylenol it came down to a 2, hope that helps Good luck and you'll be fine but remember you only have 1 chance to heal correctly so be careful. Also make sure you discuss how your vaginal vault will be supported or suspended once they remove the uterus or else you could wind up with other prolapses even after the surgery. That's why I had my leg fascia taken out to use to suspend my vault and address any enterocele from forming afterwards. Good luck!
Unread 05-16-2009, 11:29 AM

I had my TVH and A&P repair on April 7 so I'm almost 6 weeks post op. Truly as far as pain goes, the procedure and recovery has been less painful than I imagined...especially the hysterectomy part. I did have pain in the "rear" area when I woke up from surgery, also my lower back hurt for some reason. I was surprised that the "rear" was hurting because I expected my abdomen to hurt and it was much less painful than I had anticipated. That first night at the hospital I did want the pain meds every time I was allowed to have them but by the next morning I was already doing better. I was sent home with Oxycodone and used it for 2 or 3 days and then switched to Ibuprophen. Once I was home I stayed in bed pretty much that entire first week. If I tried to do much at all that's when the pain would kick in. As long as I was taking it really easy and taking my Ibuprophen (prescription from the surgeon was for 800 mg every 8 hours) the pain level was tolerable. I watched some T.V., slept and did a tiny bit of knitting that first week. I thought I'd feel like reading but I really didn't until the second week. I hope that helps...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Thank you, yes that helps. I think one source of my anxiety is the fact that I cannot take oxycodone or Vicodin or ANY kind of narcotic pain pill because they give me biliary colic pain ever since my gallbladder was removed 18 yrs ago. I have no idea how they will manage my immediately postop pain, perhaps that will be okay, I really don't know yet until I go for my preop and do my registration and nurse visit at the hospital next month. I'm probably going to end up going home on something mild like Darvocet or Ultram and I just hope that's enough to handle the pain for the first few days. If not I guess I can bite on a nail, huh?
Unread 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM

I had TVH with AP and bladder repairs. Most of my pain was in the lower back and hips due to positioning on the OR table. The pain was manageable with alternating Percoset and Motrin. I also felt like I had period cramping. I was released the day after surgery and had a painfree BM the second day post op. Right now, I notice difficulty sitting I believe mainly due to vaginal packing and catheter which will stay in one week post op. Able to walk and stand. The packing and cath are forcing me to not overdue it- so probably a good thing!! Good Luck
Unread 05-21-2009, 05:56 PM

I had an LSH with enterocele and sacral colpopexy. I had zero pain. Yes, zero. And I am wimpy.

It did feel very odd then my abdomen was all swollen up after surgery, and it felt very hot and bloated. But it was discomfort not pain. I hit the morphine button a few times, but only because I was afraid I'd wake up in pain and I'd be sorry I hadn't "gotten on top of it".

My 4th degree episiotomy after the birth of my first child was WAY worse than my hysterectomy.

Never took any narcotics, only 800 mg ibuprofen. I filled the percocet prescription just in case, but never needed it.

I too was afraid of the pain - hope you are as lucky as I was! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register