can we have cocktails??? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

can we have cocktails??? can we have cocktails???

Unread 10-17-2006, 10:14 AM
can we have cocktails???

LOL JD! (may I call you JD? it just seems so appropriate for this thread)
I never thought to ask my dr. at my pre op I'm not a big drinker but I've been known to have a martini after work if the day has been really stressfull (any day that ends in "Y"- lol J/K)
Joannie-Thanks for asking here- I was thinking of a glass of wine as my last fluid tonight before bed- now I'll have to settle for plain old spring water ....sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM
can we have cocktails???

My doctor told me no alcohol for one week before because of the dehydration effect. When I'm dehydrated, my veins disappear. You don't want to be stuck five times to try & find a vein for your IV.

Also, my gyn won't give me anything for the anxiety until just before I go to the OR- hospital policy. They want to make sure I am clearly aware of my rights & what I am choosing to do until the last minute...AARRGG. I guess I have to be strong & try to relax on my own.

Blessings,
Unread 10-17-2006, 11:05 AM
can we have cocktails???

We all have that voice of reason in us. Some of us listen to it and some of us don't. My philosophy is we all deserve the absolute best. Therefore, why inflict something on ourselves that could affect the surgical procedure. We certainly don't want to come out of surgery knowing something went wrong that could have been avoided if we had or hadn't done something in the few days prior. Some things are within our control and some things aren't. Those that are, we should do something about. Those that aren't, we place in God's hands. I know it's hard not to worry, but I convinced myself that worrying was wasted energy and I needed that energy for my surgery and recovery.

Best wishes and 's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
can we have cocktails???

Well said, CesseSeCart, Well said!
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:05 PM
can we have cocktails???

Alcohol dehydrates you. If you are not adequately hydrated, getting an IV will be painful. I have "invisible veins" and believe me, you want them to be able to locate a vein without "hunting".
Unread 10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
can we have cocktails???

I sure wish I had known all this before my surgery. I was the dummy who had a glass of chardonnay the night before my TAH BSO, (thinking it WAS a clear liquid, afterall. After golytely and a full day and a half (surgery not until 1pm) of being either on liquids or NPO past midnight, I was unbelievably dehydrated. I had multiple sticks to get an IV started and even had to have a restart that took multiple attempts after surgery. I don't think it was JUST the wine, but it probably didn't help any! I just figured it would more than wear off before my surgery since I was scheduled later in the day, I wasn't thinking of the dehydration factor. IF I EVER have to have surgery again (sure hope not) I will remember that!
Unread 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
can we have cocktails???

I made sure to ask my doctor about this because I enjoy the occasional wine with dinner. He said OK! But I stopped drinking about two weeks before surgery anyway... except for a half glass of wine the night before surgery at my celebration dinner with a friend. I know there is a big concern about drinking too much and being dehydrated. But after dinner I drank a big bottle of water until midnight. I was fine. This is really something I would leave to dr's advice! (I didn't drink again until 8 weeks post-op at my best friend's birthday dinner celebration!)
Unread 10-17-2006, 02:15 PM
can we have cocktails???

I think the pills are bettr for your weight too!! I just dont have any and my doc is onvacation until tomorrow.......can they prescribe at your pre op? I had one drink yesterday.....I definitly wont dring the day before or the day of but just a little something for the 2 days!!
Unread 10-17-2006, 02:25 PM
can we have cocktails???

If the doctor didn't give any instructions other than the day before for you... it seems as if you are not being restricted at this time. You can certainly check with the doctor or office to be specific... and/or get a prescription to keep you calm until the big day. Even the day of surgery, the anesthesiologist can give you something, if needed.

Best Wishes!!
Unread 10-17-2006, 02:52 PM
can we have cocktails???

Check with your doctor. Consuming alcohol too close to your surgery date can lead to serious problems. Just because your doctor didn't say "don't" doesn't mean you "can".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register