Why no pre-op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why no pre-op Why no pre-op

Unread 03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Why no pre-op

I understand your frustration.. When I went for my pre-op anesthesia clearance last week, I was told that it is not 'standard' anymore for the majority of anesthesiologists to meet with the patient in advance, which I think is a crock. It is sooo much better and safer for the patient to meet with an anesthesiologist at least a week before surgery so that they can get a detailed history and know what to be on the lookout for. That is the one thing that I was very adamant about. I can't see a doc showing up 5 minutes before surgery starts to throw a few ?'s at you and "see how it goes." Sorry if I am out of the loop on this one ladies - I just think that more docs need to know their patients before they get ready to wheel them in to surgery. Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Why no pre-op

I totally agree Lori. I wanted to meet with the anesthesia Docs really to just have my fears addressed. They said it had to be something major for them to take the time to meet with me. My fears ARE major to me. Now it turns out I will have to meet with the cardiac guy who will then meet with the anesthesia person and I probably still won't have my fears addressed! Tonight I just don't care. My DH asked me about spraying some roundup to kill a patch near the garden. I said right now I say kill it all, who cares. I told him to ask me another day because right now I just can't even think about anything other than this. I am so tired of it, I just want it over. I am glad I had a pre op though and hope I get to keep my date. I can't believe how different it is everywhere.

Good Luck Airplanes!

Sandra
Unread 03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Why no pre-op

Sandra -

Wishing you all the best. Our dates are on the same day! Keep me posted. ((( )))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2007, 04:06 AM
Why no pre-op

The anesthesiologist will meet with you before they take you back for surgery. They will go over your history and listen to your chest. That is the way it went for my hysterectomy and my surgery 2 years ago at a different hospital.

Sherri
Unread 03-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Why no pre-op

I was concerned when my surgery was in a week and had no pre op scheduled. I did all my pre op the morning before the surgery. I did call the doctor and the hospital though, just to make sure. My doctors office said they like to do it that way so that the patient doesn't have to go to the hospital more than once and the hospital does the tests very quickly since they know you are going into surgery. I thought it was strange, never heard of anyone doing it that way before, but - check with your doctor etc. It only took about an hour.

Oh, and everything else came out fine (TAH/BSO - nothing left) - the waiting is the worst part.
Unread 03-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Why no pre-op

I have no pre-op either. If you do a search you will find my post with over 4 pages of replies from all the wonderful hyster sisters here.

I'm just suppose to be at the hospital an hour and a half before surgery. I don't even know where to go once I get to the hospital! I feel kind of cheated and like I don't really matter and this is no big deal and I have tons of medical issues that my surgeon/gyn is aware of.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register