Not Scheduled Questions before having surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions before having surgery Questions before having surgery

Unread 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Questions before having surgery

Hi! I'm still in the pre-op stage. I have an ultrasound scheduled on Sept 7th and a biopsy on the 13th. I'll find out sometime after that when I'll get the hysterectomy. My question is about the recovery. Is it similar to that of a c-section recovery? I've had two c-sections and had great recoveries with both. I was up and walking right away and didn't really need a lot of pain medication. I'm hoping that my recovery from the hysterectomy will be as smooth. Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Re: Questions before having surgery

I am at 6 days post op and for me the recovery has been quiet similar. Little bit more pain but easily managed if u stay on top of the medication.
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Never had a C-section but had quick recovery from ovarian surgery and gallbladder removal. Am having a similar quick and nearly pain-free recovery after a lap-assisted tranvag total hysterectomy. Took one pain pill on my first night home, preventatively to assure a good night sleep since they interrupt you so much overnight in the hospital.
Maybe we're just lucky types who tolerate anesthesia and have high thresholds for pain/discomfort.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2010, 11:41 AM

Oh the anesthesia was the worst part for me. Which sucks cause with c-section it was spinal so no side effects. But the anesthesia and morphine made me sick so I went to a t3 and 2 advil every 6 hours. Was fine
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM

Oh and mine was abdominal... Cause of c-section
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Well, my C-section was pretty rough. I had my tubes tied with it though so I am not sure which caused the most pain. I was up and out of the house quicker with the C-sec than I was with the hyst. I had the DaVinci so my incisions were ALOT better than the C-section. I didn't have a swelly belly with the C-section like I do with the hyst (or I didn't notice it anyway, guess I had been preg. for too long to tell) The biggest difference I can tell between the C and the hyst is that you are so much more tired from this surgery than with the C. Would anyone agree?
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpassionisjesus View Post
Well, my C-section was pretty rough. I had my tubes tied with it though so I am not sure which caused the most pain. I was up and out of the house quicker with the C-sec than I was with the hyst. I had the DaVinci so my incisions were ALOT better than the C-section. I didn't have a swelly belly with the C-section like I do with the hyst (or I didn't notice it anyway, guess I had been preg. for too long to tell) The biggest difference I can tell between the C and the hyst is that you are so much more tired from this surgery than with the C. Would anyone agree?
i completely agree... i've had 3 c-sections and this davinci hyst has been a much longer and harder recovery... with the c-sections i was up and around within days, not with the hyst... i'm 5 months post op and still am not back to normal... i still feel achy/sore to stand for long periods, can't carry my daughter for long periods of time and by evening my belly is very swollen... my outside incisions healed quicker, but so much more was done inside that i hurt for a long time...
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM

I had two C's, TAH scheduled. I read it's worse for the TAH then C, because they actually have to remove parts and all the sewing inside that is needed so you don't bleed to death. Plus, we are older than when we had our C's, I am 20 years past my last one! I am counting on sloowww recovery!
Unread 08-19-2010, 01:52 PM

it is worse... i just have not found it unbearably worse is I guess what i am sayin.
Unread 08-19-2010, 02:21 PM

I have had 3 c sections and had quite easy recoveries with each one. I was out pushing a stroller and walking the mall at 2 weeks.

However, this recovery TAH, has been quite different and more difficult. Not horrible, but definitely a slower recovery and a bit more painful. I don't really know why, except as to what has already been mentioned. With a c-section you have two wounds to heal, with a hysterectomy there are more places inside stitched up and healing. As well as the hormonal issues.

I am at 8 weeks now, and while i am doing well, I am still tender in my belly, and i fatigue quite easily. So, for me, this was more difficult than my c sections. But not horrible, and I have no regrets.

On thing that was better this time, than my c sections is the lack of bleeding and discharge. Honestly, I thought I would never stop bleeding after my c sections, but with the hyst, I had discharge and bleeding the first 2 days and then nothing! Seriously! That part was much better...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register