Any idea on an "average" if that's possible...recovery time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any idea on an "average" if that's possible...recovery time Any idea on an "average" if that's possible...recovery time

Unread 04-16-2001, 01:59 PM
Any idea on an "average" if that's possible...recovery time

People have told me that I should be thinking of at least 6 weeks recovery time after surgery....others say no more than 2 or 3 weeks. I've scheduled myself to take 3 full weeks off of work & then short work weeks for the next 3. Is that realistic? I need help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2001, 02:16 PM

Kat
you dont say what kind of surgery you are having. I had some done by lap and a bikini cut. although I didnt have a hysterectomy I was only taking one week off but I think now that due to bikini cut I am taking off 2 weeks unless Dr tells me different tomorrow. By the sounds of it if you are having a hysterectomy I believe most women take about 6 weeks off. Your Dr should let you know what to expect and ask if he hasnt told you yet.
good luck
hugggggggggggs
Peggy13
Unread 04-16-2001, 02:16 PM

So many things can affect your recovery time, that it's hard to give you a really accurate answer. It can depend on the type of surgery you are having (abdominal or vaginal, etc), your age and physical condition, possible complications, how much rest you get during recovery, etc.

I can tell you that 6-8 weeks is "normal" to be off work. I really though that because I was 28, and in very good physical condition, that I would recover in less time than that, but I was wrong! I went back to work full-time (office job) at 5 weeks, and I was VERY tired and achy by the time I went home every evening - I pretty much went straight to bed! I could have used a couple more weeks of time off.

It actually takes 4-6 months to really start to feel like yourself again. You will experience fatigue, swelling and achiness off and on for at least that long.

You will recover faster if you allow yourself to rest! Your body is going to go through a major trauma, with lots of cutting and stitching, and it needs plenty of time to repair itself.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2001, 02:18 PM
Recovering

Kat...
While each of us is so individual that we can never truly predict our own recovery experiences, the "standard" is about 6-8 weeks......reallly! If you've not already done so, a talk with your Dr. is due....he or she will give you the best advice for your situation. Please do make every attempt to experience the full 6-8 weeks "out of commission" so that you can be your best after recovery. Even with 6-8 weeks of inactivity/limited activities, it will be a while yet before you're 100% healed inside, so please don't rush it, OK? You truly do get only one chance post-op to recover as best you can, and IMHO it cannot be done by returning to work or to old "schedules" and tasks too soon. Your body has been through major surgery, and deserves the time to heal properly
Good luck, and please join us in Pre-Op chat when you can!!!!
HysterHugs
HSChatTeamMargie(Margie93041)
Unread 04-16-2001, 02:21 PM
"average" recovery time

Wow, thanks so much for the quick replies. My doc doesn't know & won't know until the day of surgery whether it'll be vaginally or abdominally. I've had large fibroids for a number of years now & actually have only 1-2 days a month where I don't have cramps. It'll be a complete hysterectomy - removal of both ovaries & the uterus. What about hormone replacement therapy? Any thoughts? I'm 48 years old. Thanks. Kat
Unread 04-17-2001, 10:48 AM
Wander through the Hormone Jungle

Hi

You could trek over to the jungle and get information about hormones, but in general, if you must lose your ovaries, then you will probably need to be on some kind of hormone replacement. I am post-menopausal already, so find that a small amount of bio-identical estrogen has been enough for me. Other women find they need more and there is much discussion about the desirability of using progesterone as well, although many doctors say that if you don't have a uterus you don't need progesterone.

This is an area that is not at all clear and there are many opinions out there, so it would pay to have some background before talking to your doctor.

Glad you got that 6 to 8 week business down!
Unread 04-18-2001, 09:42 PM

Hi Kat, the standard initial recovery period is 6 to 8 weeks for a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy and 4 to 6 weeks for a laparascopic hysterectomy. I had a TVH and returned to work at 5 1/2 weeks (3 days short of 6 weeks). My work involves sitting at a computer but I am free to walk around as I need and I was using my recycle bin as a footstool - just the right hight. Still, by noon, the first week, I was pooped and looking forward to lying down, feet up, a warm "bean bag" on my tummy and a tylenol (or two) to ease the achiness and the swelly belly.

It takes 4 to 6 months before you start feeling your normal self (I'm 4 months post-op and only starting to feel the energy come back) and full recovery can take up to a year.

I would talk to my doctor and find out what he/she recommends, but I would plan for at least 6 weeks sick leave.

About the ovaries: I had originally planned to have my ovaries out, since I'm 44 and there is a family history of ovarian cancer. However, for me the decision was a tough one, since there is also an history of breast cancer and coronary disease. Finally, it was taken out of my hands and my doctor left my healthy ovaries. I'm glad he did.

Your ovaries continue to provide the benefits of natural hormones even after menopause. Furthermore, while HRT is a good solution for a lot of women, some women have a hard time finding the right combination and others cannot take them. A trip to the Hormone Jungle board and the Hormone Jungle Website might help you make your final decision. The Hormone Jungle Website can be found at www.hormonejungle.com

Best of luck,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register