Surgery is soon and I am freaked! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is soon and I am freaked! Surgery is soon and I am freaked!

Unread 04-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Surgery is soon and I am freaked!

Hi ladies, I am new to this website. I just found out last week that I need a complete hysterectomy and repair to my bladder and rectum. Doc says I will be laid up for 6 weeks. I live alone and my two grown children (one boy, one girl) haven't stepped up to offer help or even emotional support. That is why I appreciate this website.

I know I am getting freaked out because I am finding I am doing stupid stuff like almost putting orange juice in my coffee and looking for eggs when I really need my reading glasses.

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I think it will be fairly. soon.

Thoughts, suggestions, and any help is profoundly appreciated.

Scared in Oregon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Hi skp
please don't be scared. Many, many women have been through this surgery and come through the other side.

I'm sure you've looked into the surgery and asaked lots of questions about the kind of surgery you need etc.

You will need help at home, atleast for the first week or so out of hospital..
you dont say how old your children are. Mine are 18,20 and 21 - all students. I dont have a partner.

They didnt really understand what I was going through...and I had to sit them down and discuss it. I even showed them some of the information on here.

In the end my sister came and stayed for a week - thank goodness. She was great, but my kids then stepped into the breach.

I was kind of embarrassed really, as I havent been as supportive of friends who have been ill in the past as I wish I had. I realised that not everyone(including me) is empathetic naturally - but will help if asked. You've just got to swallow your pride and ask. They may surprise you, as mine did me!

The other thing is -make plans -it will make you feel more in control and take your mind off the op.

Good luck
Unread 04-06-2008, 02:28 PM

Dear ellie 64, My kids are 32 and 38. Old enough to know better. It is very difficult to swalllow my pride and tell them what I need. They have been strangely quite since they learned of the impending surgery, especially once they knew it wasn't cancer--my uterain biopsy came back negative--thank God!

I have been reading lots of good advice from this great website and have been getting organized, but once in a while I just feel overwhelmed with thoughts.

I asked one of my sisters (shes an RN) to come out and stay with me for a week. She suggested I fly out to MO and have the surgery out there. Ah no. I want to be at home.

Thanks for the support.

SKP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Your Complete Hyster

Hello, :-)

You said you didn't have a surgery date yet, but I see one listed for Friday April 18th. I'm having a Full Hyster on the same day at 8am and have to be at hospital for 6am. I'm SCARED TO DEATH TOO. I've NEVER had surgery before, so have NO IDEA what to expect. It's GREAT to have sites like this for help and support. I DON'T THINK I would have made it without all these AWESOME women!!! I keep getting all kinds of calls and knocks on the door, so I'll close here. JUST KNOW YOU AREN'T ALONE in your fear. Write me anytime and share your thoughts and fears, and ask all you want and I'll DO MY BEST to be of some help to you. I may have Cancer, so I have several issue's going on. WORRIED about the SURGERY and not Cancer unless it comes to that.

Hope you're doing well. Take Care. Another new friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skp
Hi ladies, I am new to this website. I just found out last week that I need a complete hysterectomy and repair to my bladder and rectum. Doc says I will be laid up for 6 weeks. I live alone and my two grown children (one boy, one girl) haven't stepped up to offer help or even emotional support. That is why I appreciate this website.

I know I am getting freaked out because I am finding I am doing stupid stuff like almost putting orange juice in my coffee and looking for eggs when I really need my reading glasses.

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I think it will be fairly. soon.

Thoughts, suggestions, and any help is profoundly appreciated.

Scared in Oregon!
Unread 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM

Being afraid is natural you never been through something like this. As for support you will need someone to help you the first week. Are your kids afraid or are they worried about interrupting their lives? Maybe they could split the week to help you along with your sister? At first my DH wasn't supportive he said that he was worried and that was how he was dealing wiht it. You will have support here someone is always here to help you!

You have a lot on your mind that is why you are having trouble concentrating. Put yourself FIRST! Dr’s don’t give a hyster for no reason! Best of luck!
Unread 04-06-2008, 05:00 PM

Dear sw34l and lady 2221963
I am so new at this website and blogging (?). I am to befuddled to consentrate on instructions.

I am working on asking my children to share the first week. That might be a great idea. My sister isn't coming out. I do have an army of friends who have offered to be of help.

I think I clicked on the wrong venacular discribing what is being done. Complete hysty incl. ovaries (who needs them at 58?) repair droopy bladder and bulging rectum. I find out Tuesday April 8th when the surgery was scheduled.

Lady2222 didn't they do a uterine biopsy to rule out cancer BEFORE scheduling surger? They hurt, but it was worth knowing I am cancer free.

Thanks gals. This does help.
Unread 04-06-2008, 05:12 PM
hey girls!

first I want to say good luck to all you great ladies!
ok..now my advice for you lovely ladies is go and get yourself a grabber....you can buy them at Medical supply stores....I got mine when I had my hip replaced....and I'm SO glad I still have it!..with the no bending rule..its has been a god send!....I need to feel independent..and just having this grabber does that for me...I just hate asking for help all the time feels good to know I can pick little things up off the floor!

again GOOD LUCK LADIES! see you on the flip side!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register