Nausea, I Hate You | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nausea, I Hate You Nausea, I Hate You

Unread 06-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Nausea, I Hate You

Okay....

So I know that there are other threads regarding post-op nausea and I know that I've posted things relating to this topic as well. I'm eight weeks post-op today and this isn't where I thought I'd be.

Today I am feeling very distressed because I'm now feeling neaseated around the clock and it's pretty bad. The medication I used previously for this problem is not really helping, it basically just keeps me from actually throwing up....just barely. When I'm hungry it's particularly bad, then I eat and I feel only slightly better momentarily, then bad again shortly after eating. I'd almost compare it to morning sickness, but it lasts all day. Oh yeah, and I'm not pregnant. I don't have a uterus. Right.

This morning I called to make an appointment with my family doctor, thinking that I should get her opinion as to what is going on with me and have some further non-gyno testing done. I figured that I wouldn't be able to get in to see her for at least a couple of weeks, though to my surprise I was able to book an appointment for tomorrow morning.

I'm just feeling so confused and overwhelmed by this nausea. It makes me feel so awful and so useless....I've struggled with it on a daily basis for the last year and a half and thought that after the hysterectomy I'd feel better. I had such high hopes and it hurts to have them dashed.

I'm frustrated and worried that something else might be wrong; my husband is frustrated that I'm not "better" after everything I've gone through with the surgery etc; I'm sure that my support system is tired of hearing that I'm still not well; and I just want to cry. I want to crawl under a blanket and stay there. My mom says I'm depressed and that's what's causing the nausea....I'd say it's quite the other way around.

I feel like I've been so strong for so long and have gone through so much garbage just to get to this point, only to still feel awful. The chronic pain is virtually gone now, which is of course good news....but I've always said that I'd take pain over nausea any day. At least I can function with pain.

Tears are streaming down my face. How did I come full circle back to this awful place?? What is going on?

This sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Re: Nausea, I Hate You

Sounds like a GI issue. I have an ulcer and adhesions on my small intestines.
I have an antacid I take 2 X a day that keeps me on an even keel. If I have a flare up I have a second one I take an hour before eating.
One of the indicators of a flare is nausea in above my navel.

If the nausea is below my navel, I know I have matter caught in my intestines. The only thing I can do for that is eat lightly and drink alot of water.
Nausea before & after eating is usually a sign of a GI problem.
Unread 06-16-2010, 12:27 PM

Hi Mhager,

Thank you for your reply. I will bring this up with my doc tomorrow. Interesting that you put it as being above the navel. That is definitely how I would describe my discomfort, although the awful diarrhea is back with a vengeance today. This is what I was going through prior to my surgery, minus the chronic pain. At my post-op my doc told me that my uterus was highly abnormal, with adenomyosis and huge veins. I suppose this could be ovarian shock or something to do with hormones, but I just want to investigate other causes to alleviate my fears.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2010, 12:50 PM

B+~sorry you are feeling ill!

About the diarrhea~do you go a lot and does it smell terrible??

I ended up with the dreaded C-DIFF after taking all those antibiotics, not to mention hospital stays and ER visits....so who know where it came from.

I had terrible stomach cramps, nausea and diarrhea. Went on for weeks, but gyn doc kept telling me "everything is fine, just keep taking your medicine". Finally i got sick of being sick and went to the reg doc, THANK GOODNESS I DID!!! She dx me with C-DIFF. So i am off for some time from work and strangely enough back on antibiotics. If this doesn't clear it up i don't know what i am going to do.
Unread 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Hi Daisyforest,

The diarrhea only started today (yay, my two month anniversary present!!) and who knows if it will stick around. Prior to my surgery, it would usually accompany the nausea but not always. I don't really think it's c-diff but I will ask my doc about it just to be sure. I really have no idea what's going on at this point.

Are things getting any better for you? How long is the course of treatment in your case?
Unread 06-16-2010, 03:52 PM

I go back for a 're-check' on the 25th. The results take a few days, if it comes back "clear of c-diff" i can return to work. If it comes back positive still, i am so totally screwed! My STD ends July 6th so that will be the end of my pay. (DH works thankfully)

I have a "follow up" appt with GYN doc on the 7th to see about the hematoma (if it has shrunk). I am also going to ask her about that "tear feeling i have by my vagina". Bothers me all the time. AND ask about something for anxiety...no depression, but i am starting to realize when i get stressed out i start a hot flash followed by a SWEAT!

I know what you mean about the support system and DH. I feel like i have to lie to everyone "oh i am feeling great today!" My DH got PO when i told him i had to be back on antibiotics said "when the he77 are you going to get better". Like getting c-diff was part of a plan.

You can come here and complain and cry all you want to B+~~i will listen!

Let me know how doctor appt goes. That is strange that you have this...(do you have pain) i am trying to read up if you have pain and i can't find it.
Unread 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Hi Daisy,

Wow, I will sure be crossing my fingers for you too! I hope that the c-diff situation is under control, that can't be much fun at all. I hope that your other issues have resolved themselves or that they will soon be resolved if need be. Hugs to you!

Thanks for your support. When I told a friend of mine today what was really going on with me, she basically told me that it's all in my head (also that I made my uterus diseased etc because of the way that I feel about myself....okay). My mom is ready to write me off as being depressed, saying that the nausea is a side effect of depression. Yes, the nausea makes me upset, depressive and anxious at times, so did the chronic pain....but when I'm feeling okay, I'm my normal, happy self. Deep inside I feel hopeful and happy, though feeling sick all the time is getting me down. I was so excited about "being me" again and then last Monday the nausea crept back. Like what is going on?! I'm NOT depressed...I've been depressed in my life before and that's not it.

No, I don't really have much pain. I get a lower back ache after doing physical activity (though I have been careful not to overdo it) and my lower abdomen is still tender from the surgery. I can only assume that the very slight amount of pain that I have is due to healing. Compared to what I have been through over the years, it is rather insignificant to me now.

I have anxiety at night which is unpleasant. I've noticed what I think are hot flashes as well, but I can't be sure. I have no idea what my ovaries are up to right now! Yesterday and today I've had a headache....which is unusual for me.

Here's hoping that tomorrow will shed some light on this very frustrating situation.

Hugs to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register