Questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Questions

I hope I am posting this in the correct spot. I had my lacroscopic hysterectomy on Tuesday 11-15-11. I am recovering as well as can be expected. Pain is there but not unbearable, I am using hydrocodone as prescribed by my doctor. My questions are should I try aleve instead of taking the pain meds prescribed? Or continue with pain meds for another couple of days..if I wait to long between doses I hurt pretty badly so I am taking them at or just before time due. Also I have had extreme gas, my husband brought home gas x today so I am now getting some relief from that discomfort. I have not had a bowel movement yet should I take stool softner? Last question..I have no appetite. I try to eat as normal but I just can't eat more than a few bites at each meal. And I feel no hunger at all. I know that I need to eat to help my body heal. Any suggestions on how to get my appetite up so that I can eat at least something? I look forward to any answers I can get. Thank you for this site! It is comforting to have other women who are going thru the same thing to talk to or read their stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Re: Questions

Hi Jokarnei, you're about a day ahead of me - I had my TLH/BSO 11/16 and am feeling pretty good. My doc sent me home with a scrip for percoset but told me that as soon as I could, I should switch to several advil, several times a day for pain relief. I stopped the percs and switched to tylenol-3 (still a narcotic but not as strong) this morning.

Presently, what I'm doing is every 4 hours taking the advil, and then every OTHER 4 hours taking the tylenol 3.

My experience with pain medicines overall is that they work better with a continual dose, rather than letting it wear off and taking it again.

My appetite isn't really there either, and I can't eat much at a time. I'm just eating a few bites at mealtimes, even if I have to force it for now.

hope some of that helps!
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Hi Sozo,
Yes you have been very helpful..I was worried that something wasn't right with me having no appetite. I will also start the alternating Advil with the meds from the dr. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2011, 07:12 PM

I had no appetite for a few months post op. I found small nutritious things were best. A glass of juice, a yogurt, a small bowl of soup. Definitely use a stool softener to help you "go". You need to get your bowels moving and try to keep pushing to a minimum. Keep using the gas x regularly and don't wait until you have pains.
Unread 11-19-2011, 01:15 AM

I had my surgery on July 26, 2011. I had 3 previous laps, to remove Endo.
My body was in pretty bad condition going into surgery & it was the "last option" for me, unfortunately.
Also, unfortunately, 3+ months, I am still having to take pain medication (again, my case isn't the norm - I had severe Endo & Adnomyosis). I've also begun trigger point therapy in my lower back/tailbone.

I think, as previously posted, it is best to take the meds on a regular dosing, rather than waiting until you are in a lot of pain. Sort of the whole "staying ahead of the pain", theory. If non- prescription pain meds are working, I would say keep with them. Of course, taking the non-narcotic meds are best- but there is nothing wrong (that I have finally come to terms with) with taking what you need to get through this more difficult time.
As far as the constipation, YES, YES, YES, take a stool softener (the hospital sent me home w/ 3 diff ones (although I tend to get easily constipated w/out meds).
I really hope you start feeling better soon! It may not seem like it now, but each day you will gain more strength & energy.
Best of luck & Big Hugs to you, my hyster friend!
Unread 11-19-2011, 06:37 AM

Thank you all! Is encouraging to hear others with maybe not the same issues but close enough to get advice from. Sugar I have adopted the small meals..as in yogurt or soup. Appetite just isn't there so I try to have small things throughout the day. Blessed I hope you have a speedy recovery and that you are well. Thank you do much sisters! You have all been a true blessing to me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register