Dr.s and the "run-around"!!??!?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr.s and the "run-around"!!??!?! Dr.s and the "run-around"!!??!?!

Unread 07-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Dr.s and the "run-around"!!??!?!

Hi,
I am wondering what you would think of this situation. I have had horrable problems for 9 years and am going in for a scope this saturday. Now, my doctor told me he wanted to put me on Lupron, which I will not do because I feel it is a temporary fix with horrable side effects, and I don't think I should force my body into menopause since I am only 27yrs. I, on the other hand, am pushing to have only my uterus removed since I feel this is the best solution for me. Fertility is not an issue, and I am tired of being "side- lined" from life because of incapacitating cramps and bleeding. My dr. seems to think this is "un-necessary" since I am to "young" to have this done. Now, if Im to young to have my uterus out, why am I not "to young" to be thrown into un-natural menopause? And why shouldn't I be given every option of treatment, such as a sub-total hyster? Doesn't the HIPPA law prohibit age disscrimination to treatments? And aren't I my best health advocate? I want a permanent fix, not a temporary fix at this point. And the risks of complications are far better that what I have gone through the last 9 years. Any one have any suggestions?!?!?!?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 04:20 PM

Hi Starbella

I'm sorry you feel as if you are getting the run around from your doctor.
I'm sure that must be very frustrating for you. I have read through some of your previous post and see that your scope is being done to check for endometriosis.

While you do have every right to be active in your own health care and help make decisions along with your doctor, it may be that sometimes what we want is not always the best option. When I was diagnosed with endo and my options were presented from my doctor I did not agree with his recommendations at first. I wanted to keep my ovaries so I would not have to go through menopause. He simply refused to do the surgery and leave my ovaries due to the endo. He also placed me on lupron for 3 months following the hysterectomy. I was not happy with this but trusted his judgement on the best way to successfully treat my endo. I am very happy that I went with his advise because I have been free of all pain for 3 1/2 years. I do believe if I would have done things my way.....I may have continued to have problems.

When I first heard the word endometriosis I was completely clueless. I have since found out that more women end up having problems with their endo if the ovaries are not removed. In most cases endo is found on the ovaries and also the cervix. While a sub total hysterectomy may be a good option for many women, In my opinion if there is any endo on the cervix and ovaries and it is not removed completely, then the chances of a failed hysterectomy are much higher.

If you did decide to leave your ovaries, there is always the risk that you will still experience an early menopause. Many, many women have kept their ovaries and they still have symptoms of menopause. Sometimes the ovaries do not "wake-up" due to the loss of blood flow from the uterus being removed.

I can symapthize with the pain you must be experiencing if you feel this is your only option. There are women younger than you who have had a hysterectomy. It may not be your age that is entirely responsible for your doctor wanting to try other options first. There may be a part of your doctor that wants to try alternatives before a hysterectomy.

I do agree that you have the right to be active in your health care. I think it is wise to do some research and be as informed as possible before making any decisions. If you are not happy with your doctor, please seek out a second and even a third opinion. There may be a doctor that is willing to listen to you and take your concerns into consideration. Here is a link to the resource section that has many informative articles.
Resources..click here

Best Wishes
Unread 07-13-2005, 10:06 AM

Hi, Star.

If your doctor is adamant that he/she not do a hyst and you are adamant that you need one, maybe you should talk to another doctor or two. See what other doctors have to say. Do your research and go in there sounding like (and being) a woman who knows exactly what she's talking about. Sometimes that's all it takes. Some doctors look at us and immediately think it's all in our heads because we don't seem to be well informed or whatever. (Who knows what goes through their heads!) Go in there armed with information, a pain map, pain ratings, a calendar with occurrences of pain. Show that doctor you KNOW what you're talking about and you KNOW YOUR BODY!!!

After all, who can resist a woman who looks like she won't be deterred??

Wishing you the best,
Stacey (((HUGS))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register