scared of ovarian cancer if i leave ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scared of ovarian cancer if i leave ovaries scared of ovarian cancer if i leave ovaries

Unread 01-19-2004, 03:47 PM
scared of ovarian cancer if i leave ovaries

ok i just read on another site about a tvh. it said they would sew the top of the vagina closed..... ok how do they check your ovaries later. my dr said i would still go in for regular paps.... what the heck are they paping???????? How will they know if there is something going on with my ovaries? HELP

Dawnya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2004, 05:12 PM

Hi. This is the definition of a pap smear from an online medical site:
A pap smear helps detect the presence of abnormal cells in the cervix, cervical infections and inflammation, and thinning of the vaginal lining from lack of estrogen. The Pap smear is the standard screening test to detect the early stages of cervical cancer.

The ovaries are examined by feeling the abdomen and/or by ultrasound or sonogram: another definition from the same site says:

A sonogram uses sound waves to make "pictures" of organs in the body. It's a good way for your doctor to "look" at your ovaries. This kind of sonogram can be done 2 ways, either through your abdomen or your vagina. Neither type is painful. The sonogram usually lasts about 30 minutes.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-19-2004, 05:29 PM

Hi. They sew the top of your vagina shut (a vaginal cuff) if you have your cervix removed. But from what I understand, some cells can remain behind so a pap would still be done if you don't have a cervix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2004, 05:02 PM
scared of ovarian cancer

My Dr. suggested taking everything if I was concerned at all about cancer and that's what they're doing. I have to have my right ovary removed because of a 16cm mass attached, but we decided to get it all over with and take it all. Sometimes ovaries can be palpable during a pelvic exam, but that wouldn't be possible with a cuff. Pelvic exams are done at the same time as a pap, and it is a simple 30 second proceedure. It's nice when the uterus and ovaries are palpable, but it is not uncommon for the ovaries not to be. I'll be happy to be without those concerns in a couple of days. Yes, some cells could still stay behind, but at least I'm narrowing my odds. I have no idea if insurance will pay for a sonogram to check the ovaries every year unless there is real concern of cancer. Hope you do well with your surgery. ~Susan
Unread 01-24-2004, 07:36 PM
worried too

I am also worried about ovarian cancer...I am getting so many different responses about having them removed. My dr says I should leave them in, as does my family dr, my mom says the same thing. My dh and the rest of my family says to go ahead and let them go.........
I'm so worried and only have a few days left........any suggestions?
Unread 01-24-2004, 08:14 PM

When I went in for my exam with the gyn, she told me that she recommends taking out everything at once just so that there is absolutely no chance of having to go back in later. There is no history of ovarian cancer in my family, but both my grandmother and aunt on my dad's side had TAH and I'm sure BSO for fibroids.

I want to keep anything that is still healthy and in working order, but at the same time I might as well just get menopause over with at the same time. I still have 2 weeks to decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register