Confessions under sedation! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Confessions under sedation! Confessions under sedation!

Unread 12-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Confessions under sedation!

Anyone out there scared they'll call out an old boyfriends name while they're on the good drugs before and after surgery? I've been wandering around hystersisters for a week now and haven't seen this subject. Still, it could happen. I'd really hate to hurt my man's feelings and he's the only one in my life now but you never know what you'll say and don't remember doing. Please give me some feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2006, 08:49 AM

I haven't honestly thought about this. I have other procedures done under both sedation and general and haven't had anything of that sort happen. The worst thing that has happened to me is when I was in labor with our first born, they gave me demarol and I asked my husband why we were in a hotel and why he wasn't at work. Nothing else came out but I have known and been with my husband since I was 16 yrs old so don't really have a history to tell. Good luck!!
Unread 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM

My boyfriend I've been with for 8 years was my first boyfriend. I was 12 when we met and we dated off and on for 6 years. Then we lost touch till 1998 and have been together since then. I had a few serious relationships plus 1 marriage between those years. He's SO jealous. He's really worried about me. He always has and I've told him not to. This time I told him to start worrying. 3 weeks ago I had 2 cycsts on left ovary and 1 fibroid. 10 days ago I had 4 fibroids and I hate to think how many I'll have be the 14th when they take everything out. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2006, 09:46 AM

I wouldn't worry to much. I figured I'd be sayiong all kinds of crazy things while on morphione (saw the Grey's episode when Meredith was on morphine) I talked to my DH about it and he was looking forward, said he was goign totape me!!! As far as I know I didn't say anything wierd.....

Unread 12-07-2006, 10:12 AM

When I was in labor with my oldest daughter I had been given something for pain. I told my husband he was sleeping under the table when we got home!
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:32 AM

Oh heavens, don't worry about this. What you say under drugs can be the funniest best moment of the whole surgery! And please don't believe the old wive's tale that you tell the truth under these drugs either.
You wanna know what I did? I play an online game where I am a Hunter the shoots arrows. So there I was telling everyone that I need to shoot 5 more thistle bears to get some kind of quest done. And my anestheisologist was answering me to keep the conversation going. I came to with him and the gurney guy laughing their heads off! And now it's my DH favorite story.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Think of Clark Gable and Gone With the Wind and see what you say when you wake up. Enjoy!
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Dreamweaver,

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. The pre-op drug they gave me was as I was on my way out the door and I didn't say anything. Hubby had it once and he just started laughing, Mom had it once and she passed out in about three seconds with her chapstick halfway to her lips! Post op/recovery room he probably won't be in and they won't send you up to your room or where he is until you're making (some) sense.

I read a Dear Abby about this a month or so before my surgery and started to worry. The letter said something about a nurse telling a story about a man confessing an affair while coming out and the wife divorcing him, and it wasn't even true it was just something he said coming out or something like that. A few weeks later there was a follow-up column with a bunch of letters from nurses saying that is not really how it is when you come out, they haven't seen it in their 18 years, etc. It made me feel better, even though I have nothing to confess. If you google "Dear Abby Anesthesia" it pops up pretty quick. The reassurance letters were dated 7/17/06. It might be good to print out and show him innocently, like you are laughing at the 14 year old who woke up talking about his wife, and have him read it that way.

Good luck!
Unread 12-07-2006, 10:56 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I really don't think you will be talking about anything that happened long ago... more likely you will say something that's on your mind at the moment.

My experience was they administered the "joy juice" immediately prior to taking me into surgery. (That's when you might talk, LOL) My "talking adventure went sort of like this, I am told.....
First of all,I really love the number "3" and before I got the joy juice, my prep nurse happened to mention that I was in pre-op room number "3". Well that's all it took. I'm told I started rambling on about "3"!!!!! "Im the third child of three children, born on the third day of the third month, and oh how nice to be in pre-op room number 3"! And wouldn't you know it.... I was admitted to room 203 when it was over!

So, I really think if you do say anything, it will be something silly that you are thinking of at the time. Enjoy your "joy juice" and your "party hat" and go with it! It really was the highlight of my surgery day. Joy juice equals No Fear! Relax.

Teresa
Unread 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Shera you must play World of Warcraft. I play too, and your story made me laugh good!!

Dreamweaver, dont worry much about things you will say. I have been with my husband through quite a few of his surgeries and he never said anything while waking from surgery to taking his pain meds. Chances are you will not say anything either. Except maybe.. "give me pain meds!" ( im teasing you ) Best of luck to you!!
Unread 12-07-2006, 01:08 PM

I was thinking the same thing today Dreamweaver. I just married my dh in August, even though we've been together 2 yrs. What made me think about it though was that a guy that I dated a long time ago emailed me and said it was very important to call him. So, dummy me called. He was wanting to see me (this is after he dropped off the face of the earth with no calls, and married someone else). His marriage is over now and I guess he thought that I would still be waiting around on him......WRONG! But all the anger that was left behind long ago came back. Along with the anger from the first dh (who I tried to choke while I was in childbirth). Now, I'm feeling like I'm going to have to start yet another anger management course before I go into surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register