A set back at two weeks gets me down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A set back at two weeks gets me down A set back at two weeks gets me down

Unread 05-18-2001, 06:26 AM
A set back at two weeks gets me down

I've been doing so well until I hit 12 days. I was depressed that I can't go back to teaching, that I have little energy(walked to the mail box(a hill) and back and needed to rest for 45 minutes!),can't work in my weed-growing garden, etc. a general feel blue day-plus with a TAH, the hormonal changes. Feel sick to my stomach even though I take the medication Premin at night. Then, got a bladder infection-ugh! Down for the count for an entire day! Feeling better this morning. Guess, this is expected-the highs and lows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2001, 07:01 AM
you sound just like me!!

hi gailh!!
it is just like looking in a mirror. i too am at the 2 week post-op. and just the other day i felt really down for no reason. i started to cry for no reason at all. they say this is to be expected so don't feel bad. it's just hormones that's all. hey we are allowed to cry.... we're women!!!! i too get tired very easily, so just accept it and let someone else wait on you for once. i know i found that really hard at first, cause i am not the sort of person to let other people wait on me. i am very independent. so enjoy someone else doing the cleaning and other duties around the house.
regarding the bladder infection, i called my doctor yesterday about it and gave a urine sample so hopefully i will hear back today if i actually have a bladder infection. they say that your bladder will have spasms and it sometimes feels like an infection, so i wanted to find out for sure. i'm thinking it may have been from the catheter. that was my worst fear having that done. and then when they took it out i couldn't go on my own the whole day!! so they had to put another catheter in. YUK!!!! i was so glad when i finally went on my own.

don't worry about your garden. it will still be there when you are felling better. i think you are doing to much, so relax because this is our only chance to heal. you don't want to overdue it and end up with more pain or complications down the road.

so take care and pamper yourself!!!
god bless
hidiho
Unread 05-18-2001, 07:23 AM
Thanks- Hidi **

Sure does sound like we're mirror images. I , too, had the problem with the cath. They had to put it back in the next day after I mentioned I hadn't gone to the bathroom 7 hours! Awful. I 'm on medication and feeling better for the infection. Went for my two week check yesterday. Told my doctor about this helpful site. Forgot to mention whether I could sleep on my side...will call to check on this.
Are you still numb in the incision area? My doctor says it can take 6 months to heal. Back to watching Murder, She Wrote!!!! Daytime television is something, isn't it? Watching the dust build up on my furniture... Maybe, this isn't such a bad thing....it might change my attitudes about cleaning????
Best to you!
Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2001, 07:34 AM

Gail,
Hi. I teach too (5th grade) and was soo looking forward to going back this week. I felt so good. Had a TAH on 4/17. I went in on Monday (sub still there) and listened to book reports for an hour. I had planned on going back 1/2 day on Tues - Fri and principal said not without a work release (understandable). So I went to get one and found out I had a bladder infection and so I've been home instead. I'm also having to take pain pills again. Really bummed out!! Next week is the last week of school and I may not be able to go back at all. I'm having a meeting with principal this afternoon.

What do you teach?

It seems I am having more fatigue now then I did earlier in my recovery. If you are just 2 week post-op, take it easy still (hard isn't it).

Take care.
Unread 05-18-2001, 08:25 AM
rgruntmeir

I teach 6th grade social studies. I believe I wrote a reply to you last week when I read you might be trying to go back to work. Don't we have enough on our plates without having to get a bladder infection,too? Oh, well...the meds are making me feel better. Hope you are doing better soon, too. My doctor says I can go on the NYC trip (with my students) which I planned for June 15th provided I take it slower the next couple of weeks and heal. Sadly, my summer trip to China had to be postponed- :-( until next year.
Take care.
Gail
Unread 05-18-2001, 08:42 AM
I am in the same boat

Gailh,

I am so happy I read your post. I feel the same way I kept bragging how well I was doing and wham It hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday. Bladder pains (I have had that all along) Now the depression hits I feel awful. I had a friend of mine pick me up Wed. all we did was go and eat and walk around Target now I am paying for it. Oh yea I I had a TAH/BSO on May4th I thought I was ready but I guess not. It is so depressing I have 4 boys ages 13-4 and I am normally active with them now it seems like I am just a pain in everyone butt! I miss playing with them and just being my normal self. I wonder what is worst the pain before or this recovery! Well take care I wish the best for you hopefully we will all get out of this depression and smile again. Cabingirl
Unread 05-18-2001, 09:59 AM
cabingirl

Isn't this site such a helpful place to share our thoughts and see that we aren't alone?
I thought I'd have my "wheels" by now....don't think I could really drive with confidence...maybe next week. Being such an active person, it's very difficult being the "invalid" in the home. I thought I was breezing through this surgery and just waved away the thought it was MAJOR surgery.
I've got it easy compared to you....children in the home needing caring when you'd rather "veg" out. Hopefully, you are having some help. I'm thinking of writing messages in the dust around my home....hard to take since I've been such a neat freak.
Get well....we're all in the same boat. Take it slow....We'll all be fine!!!
Gail
Unread 05-24-2001, 04:24 PM

hi gailh!!
sorry i didn't get back to you sooner, it's not like i was busy doing anything. i sent a reply, but the website was down and i couldn't send my reply. anyway, i am glad to hear your bladder infection is better. it turned out i didn't have one from my test results, so that was a relief.
yes i am still numb around my incision and the top part of my left leg as well. i guess they can't help but cut nerves. i hope it comes back eventually. it's a weird feeling eh?? (please excuse the canadian accent)

regarding your question about sleeping on your side? i have been sleeping on my side ever since i was in the hospital. the nurse's said to hug a pillow so you won't roll over onto your stomach. i use one of those large body pillows and i find it works really well!!

i am getting so bored!!!! i am tired of just sitting and laying around. if i do go shopping or visiting i get tired shortly after. how about you? i have the okay to drive now but i must admit i feel nervous about driving for the first time. i think i may wait another week just to be on the safe side.

hey guess what????? my husband finally vaccummed the house yesterday!!!! YEAH!!! it only took him 4 days since the time i asked him. slow but sure!!

i had to call my doctor the other day 'cause i was having some pain on my right side. nothing major. it just felt like i had a "stitch in my side". well it turns out that thats probably all it was- the stitches inside are just healing and that it is normal. it's funny but i felt better shortly after i came home from the hospital than i do now. it seems like the last week i am feeling all these little quirks and little pains. i guess it's just part of the healing process.

i hope you don't think i am long winded?. i'm really not much of a talker; in person or on the phone. i just love this website. it is such a life saver. i am so glad i came upon it.

stay in touch and god bless
hidi **
Unread 05-25-2001, 06:53 AM
Hidi **

We continue to heal in a similar way. It's three weeks today...can't believe it! I'm starting to be bored not able to do much as I begin to feel better. Still get tired easily. I walk with a bit of difficulty due to right side pain, too. Otherwise the pain is little. I'm on hormones but I still seem to choke up when talking and want to cry at the drop of a hat. I find I'm very sore when I get up(today was the first day I actually slept the entire night.) Wondering how much longer before I can work in the garden, etc.
Best to you.
Gail
Unread 05-25-2001, 08:55 AM

Dear Gail,

I hope you feel better soon my dear....

Don't worry, your garden can wait another few weeks. I know how boring this whole recovery thing can be, but just remember that now is the time to be very kind to yourself. If you were to do too much, you could set your recovery back weeks. So be a good and get lots of Boredom is a small price to pay for a healthy recovery right?!

Sending you a gentle p.s. I got quite a chuckle reading your "message in the dust" idea

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register