Packing! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-05-2002, 01:49 PM
Packing!

Hello all, back from castle on 31st May, ( op LAVH, Burch, pelvic floor repair on 27 May). First time I have been able to log onto site comfortably, but just wanting to let pre-op stessed princesses that my experience has been good.

I had about 2 minutes of severe pain in recovery, but literally that was all. All other pain was quickly under control with medications and I was able to get up and have a short wash my first night, even with drain, drip and catheter. On day 2 my pain relief was changed as I started vomiting and I was given voltaren suppository pain relief, lasts 12 hours, no side effects and absolutely brilliant for me.

My main comment is that after everything I have read about from this site, my gyne, my doc etc. I knew all about catheters, drains, ivs etc. but why did no-one tell me about the vaginal packing! For me, that was one of the worst experiences when it was removed, like giving birth to a 10 foot long skinny baby! I had to ask the nurse to stop several times so I could gain control again and resist the temptation to kick her head in!

I spoke to another lady who also had not been told and had just explained how it felt to her DH and he made the comment it must have been like one of those conjuring tricks where the scarves keep coming out of the empty magicians hat!

Other than a first incredibly painful bowel movement, I am now home and feeling so good, for the first time in years I have no back pain!! I am sleeping through night with no pain relief and when I do need some it is only two panadol. I have done a short trip into town, a short walk ( funnily enough walking downhill hurts more than up!) and been carefully tended by DH and my teenage daughter and son.

So, for all my worrying, so far my quaility of life has been much enhanced and I feel good! Hope all this relieves fears and concerns for ladies whose ops are impending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Packing!

Hi lindy-lou Mags,

Thank you for posting and letting us know how the new is doing!

I'm sorry you weren't prepared for the vaginal packing . My surgery was abdominal, but I've seen many women post here on the boards who had a vaginal procedure. Some have had the packing and some haven't.

Be sure to continue to be pampered by your wonderful family, get lots of rest and drink lots of fluids in addition to those walks.

Best wishes and s
Unread 06-05-2002, 03:41 PM
Packing!

I had the packing too, I had no idea I would. My room mate did not have any. So I guess it is all on the doctor.

KAren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2002, 04:05 PM
STOP WORRYING??

Packing? Will I have packing with my TAH/BSO...I don't want that?? Anyone know what this is all about??
Unread 06-05-2002, 07:05 PM
Packing!

It helps with post-op bleeding. I had no idea I had it in, til the doc took it out the next morning. It did not hurt coming out.
Unread 06-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Packing!

I had the packing too. I read about it somewhere on here., so I knew about it. What I didn't know was how weird it would feel while being removed. I likened it to the magician with scarves too! It only hurt a little bit. The catherdar hurt worse! Glad things went so well. Be sure and rest, like the rest of us good rincess:
hugs till you heal,
Tammy
Unread 06-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Packing!

I had TVH and they use the packing for the bleeding afterwards Mine came out the next morning and I felt no pain at all No more than taking out a super duper tampon..I knew about the packign from reading about it on here and then asking my Dr ..And I'd heard too that it hurt coming out but I felt no pain..it is kind of funny tho cuz you are wondering where all of that is coming from
Unread 06-05-2002, 11:42 PM
packing

For me the cath. removal wasn't a problem. When the RN took out the packing it felt like it had been (and probably was to some degree) accordian pleated in there. The packing is a long narrow piece or several pieces of sterile gauze put in there to help control the bleeding. It's like a pressure bandage for lack of a better explanation. Just having it in there though is uncomfortable. It did hurt some coming out. There was one spot when the RN was about half-way done that gave me a little jolt. It was more of the anticipation of it hurting than continual pain. It was just glad to get it out of there.
Unread 06-06-2002, 07:53 AM
Packing!

Try to take your walks where it is flat, rather than hilly. Down hill is harder on your abs. That is why you feel it so much more. Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register