Thoughts on Mederma? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thoughts on Mederma? Thoughts on Mederma?

Unread 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Thoughts on Mederma?

I just bought Mederma. After spending $16 on the tube, I thought, hmm, maybe I should have asked you all about it first! My scars are not too bad, but if I could make them lighter faster, that would be great. I've put it on twice, and while I was "in the area", I put it on my 15 year old stretch marks, too.

If you've used Mederma, what do you think of the results? How long did it take for the scars to fade?

Other than the scars (which is really a non-issue), everything is going great for me. I had a LSH on 5/5. No period, no pain, no swelly belly now. My hemoglobin is almost normal, and I have more energy than I've had since 1984, which is when I first remember noticing that something was not right (anemia). AND, I've lost 20 pounds!! 30 more to go.

Thanks, everyone, for their support and answers to my Mederma question!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Re: Thoughts on Mederma?

Hi Stickers~
I haven't tried Mederma. Just as I glanced at your post a Mederma ad was on the air! I just wanted to say that I am glad that your recovery is going so well!
Unread 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM

I tired it when I had my gallbladder removed and a breast lump removal (same surgery). It didn't seem to help that much and I wasn't liking the slight oniony odor it had. I used it on two incisions and not on the other two. Ironically, the ones that healed the best were the two I didn't use it on but I wonder if that has to do with location too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Hi Stickers.

I had my gallbladder out on the same day! I've been using a tube of generic drugstore scar gel on my four tummy scars, but since I have nothing to compare it to I can't really say if it has helped or not. I think it makes me FEEL better about the scars, at least???

I also had a tarsal tunnel release and a gastrocnemius recession (calf, foot, and ankle) surgery on 4/29 and I started applying the gel after the stitches were removed because the skin was itchy, tender, and peeling. After a few days the skin tone and condition improved a lot, so I kept using it.

I am really glad to hear you are feeling so well. I have lost 52 lbs since my final post op/well woman check up in November. 25 lbs to go for me!

Congratulations to you on your weight loss and hope your recovery continues to be a success!
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:19 AM

I've been using Mederma for about a week now and I'm 3 weeks post-op. I started using it to help calm some of the itchiness of my incision area. It does keep the skin soft around the scar. I'm not sure yet if it is helping it to heal faster, but the scar looks like it is healing well. It is expensive to buy, but when I was reading the package insert, it said that a large tube would last for 3-4 months using it as directed (3-4 times a day). I can believe it because it takes just a small bit to cover the whole scar.

Here's to your continued smooth recovery!
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:33 AM

Okay, you all have me convinced to pull out the mederma and try again!!
Unread 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM

My doctor recommended plain old cocoa butter twice a day.
The darkness is fading. It has been four weeks since my hysterectomy tummy tuck combo.
Unread 06-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukukajoo View Post
Okay, you all have me convinced to pull out the mederma and try again!!

Hey kukukajoo--I was just checking to see what you were up to and lo and behold...great minds think alike!

My surgeon recommended Vit E and Mederma. I've been using Vit E but thought that it might not be so good to put under my work clothing (going back to work Monday) and so I thought I'd consider Mederma. I see mixed reviews for it on various sites, but figured it was worth a try so I went to Wal-Mart just a couple hours ago to buy some.

I think it must be hard to know whether it really works since we won't have two identical scars to do a comparison. My surgeon has made good recommendations so far, so thought I'd trust him on this one.

mari

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register