Anyone going to try Arnica or Bromelain? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone going to try Arnica or Bromelain? Anyone going to try Arnica or Bromelain?

Unread 01-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Anyone going to try Arnica or Bromelain?

I have been reading some encouraging reports about Arnica as an anti inflammatory and the Dr. told me I could take it the morning of the surgery because it melts under your tongue.
Plastic surgeons use it on their patients to keep the swelling down.
I really want to use as many herbals as possible. I heard Bromelain can thin your blood so not to use that before the surgery.
Bromelain is a pineapple base and so I was also recommended to eat fresh pineapple the week before surgery for anti inflammatory. Everyone at home is looking very hungrily at my pineapple, I may or may not share.
So, has any ever used either of these products and did you notice any results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2009, 03:17 PM

I used Arnica and Bromelain. I think they help.

Good luck,
Lynn
LSH
47yo
Unread 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Even natural anti-inflammatories can thin blood so do your research first to be careful. Found this from the University of Maryland: Bromelain is a mixture of protein-digesting enzymes found in pineapples ( Ananas comosus ). Bromelain supplements contain active substances that aid digestion and help reduce inflammation.

So I would just be careful with eating a lot of something before surgery that can cause excessive bleeding when coupled with blood thinners, even if you're not taking blood thinners. Just me though. I'm pretty careful about stuff like that.

Kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2009, 11:28 PM

My DH is a Chiropractor, and he put me on Bromelain about a wk. after surgery, because Motrin was causing bad heartburn. There are precautions... you should not take it if you are on any blood thinners, ie: Coumaden or Warfarin (sp?). Plus, you must take it on an empty stomach, or it becomes a nice digestive aid instead of an anti-inflammatory. I would not take it before surgery, nor immediately afterward, but later on, when chances of bleeding are lessened, it should be ok. I haven't taken Arnica, but only because we don't have any on hand. If you have questions, ask a Dr. of Chiropractic (DC) or a Naturopathic Doctor (ND) for advice. Many MDs don't know much about natural alternatives, though you could ask.

DaVinci RAVH+ BSO 1/2/09
Hyperplasia with focal atypia, pelvic congestion syndrome, and anenomyosis

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register