Bladder "pangs" - infection???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder "pangs" - infection???? Bladder "pangs" - infection????

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Bladder "pangs" - infection????

I'd been having this sensation after urination that I would describe as a "pang," slightly painful, but very short lived. I thought it was due to trauma to the bladder for the surgery, or related to the fact that it no longer had the uterus to sit on top of and was adjusting to its changed environment...
but today, I had teh "pang" the entire time I was urinating rather than at the end... I've also had some mild pressure/pain in the lower abdomen, despite doing quite well otherwise...
Does anybody else experience this, or should I be contacting the doctor to see about an infection? I know whenI called about aquestion before, she said she couldn't get me in prior to the 8th, which is my 4-wk check-up... but what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Re: Bladder "pangs" - infection????

In the Recovery Progress Reports for 6/21-6/27 thread there are a number of posts (some dated today) that talk about UTI symptoms; it seems that at least one of the sisters was able to go to her PCP and get a urine test (positive) and go on antibiotics, so that would be an alternative if your GYN can't see you soon. If you actually have a UTI, you want to be seen soon, that's for sure. UTI symptoms manifest differently for all women (from what I understand) and some of the sisters have described back pain being involved. Until you can get to the doctor, be sure to stay hydrated (just plain water)...
The thing that seems to be happening on the post-op boards is if a sister thinks something is wrong UTI-wise, it is always turning out to be true and she goes on an antibiotic. Better get checked out if this doesn't go away by the morning...just my two cents! Good luck!!!
Unread 06-30-2010, 07:28 PM

I had a hysterectomy on May 25th. One week later I started having bladder/urine pain that I thought was a bladder infection. I have had urine tests done which canceled the possibility of a UTI. After the symptoms lasted three weeks, I had a IVP exam which was an x-ray and contrast of the ureter, bladder, and kidneys. Once again, the test was negative. Now having the persistent pain for four weeks, I just want to scream. All tests are coming back negative, and the bladder pain is getting worse. My doctor wants me to play "The waiting game" for three more weeks because she is hoping the pain goes away. Her concern is that I may have a cyst on my bladder because I chose to keep my left ovary. Unfortunately I had several cysts on my uterus and right ovary. I pray that I don't need another surgery. I have already had eight surgeries to try to eliminate endometriosis pain. I am at the end of my rope! Go to the doctors immediately because you never know what is going on! Better safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM

Gosh, Li'L Sue, you've been through the wringer. ((((((Big hugs))))))
Good advice and keep us posted on your recovery...
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM

I am 15 days post op and unfortunately still needed to self-cath, but I have those "pangs" because of that situation. My doc suggested that I use AZO (over the counter used for UTI pain and bladder health) - It has helped a lot since I started using it. I just take one dose a day and that seems to do it. Give it a try and see if it helps. If not - call your doc.
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:57 PM

I posted something kinda similar earlier. Should've searched first, my fault!

Budnkota, hello! I'm sorry you're having trouble too. What I've got going on is more than pangs. I have pretty severe pain/pressure in my lower belly/pelvis and some lower back pain. When I urinate, which is often & with little results, I DO NOT have burning but have increased pain in my pelvis. I did have a UTI at about 4 weeks post-op and was treated for that and also had to be re-hospitalized for the bladder thing & an internal hematoma (it got so bad I couldn't keep oral anti-biotics down). But in the last several days I'm also having urinary leakage when I sneeze/cough or laugh. I'm 8 weeks post-op today & I've never had leakage in my life. Luckily I'm seeing my OB-GYN tomorrow for an appt. To answer your question, I would highly suggest a call to your doctor. They need to get you in & test your urine and that way, find out what is causing your problems. Let us know what you find out, please! I'm thinking of you!!! (((HUGS)))

Hey there, Li'lSue26! You've really been through it, huh? I'm so sorry. We do have some things in common. The endometriosis, keeping one ovary, the bladder pain. I did have a UTI about 4 weeks ago and was treated, hope it took...b/c my lower pelvic/bladder pain is getting worse by the day and I am now leaking some urine, as I mentioned. It's really lovely. When I was put back in the hospital, I also had an IVP test that came back negative. Just like you. The final sonogram in the hospital showed a cyst on my remaining right ovary. I hope a cyst hasn't actually formed on my bladder now, as you mentioned. I've never heard of that! But I'm telling you, it might make sense...I feel like I've got a boulder sitting in my lower groin. This is so NOT fun. I can't wait to see my doc tomorrow. If he tells me to wait 3 more weeks I'm gonna scream too! Please keep me posted, I wanna know how you're progressing. Thinking of you! Take it easy.
Unread 06-30-2010, 11:00 PM

Call your MD. Not to scare you, but I had some pressure/pain when I peed...I was going to call the MD the next morning for a urinalysis, but during the night one of the two pelvic abscesses I had ruptured...the abscess was causing irritation of my bladder. (I was three days in the hosp with i.v. antibiotics)

I'd call your MD to check it out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register