Lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-28-2000, 10:33 AM
Lupron

My doctor is suggesting taking Lupron instead of surgery.
Does anyone have any feedback of this drug.
I am concerned on the side effects and long term effect.

Roberta
bertsemail@aol.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2000, 11:08 AM
Lupron

You can see the post below for some feedback.

Also, check out Lupron on the web - you can get the package insert info, as well as seeing research results. If you read the last post, you'll see I had very little problem, and it was worth the "risk" for me.

However, many women do have awful "instant menopause" symptoms. And it is not a long-term solution - only a pre-op medication in the case of a hyst.

Dixie
SLH 7/11/00
Unread 12-28-2000, 11:33 AM
Lupron

Hello,

I agree with Dixie that you should check out all you can about Lupron. Many women do fine, like Dixie, but others do suffer significant symptoms that are almost like "instant menopause" since Lupron interferes with your body's ability to secrete estrogen. It was originally developed for men who had testicular cancer but did not want to undergo orchiectomy (removal of the testicles). It results in the supression of testicular or ovarian steroidogenesis (which means the creation and secretion of steroid based hormones like estrogen and testosterone). In pre-menopausal females it reduces estrogen levels to levels that are usually seen after menopause. This can help your fibroids because they thrive on estrogen. If there is no estrogen around they cannot get bigger and they may often shrink. This shrinking is the reason that many MDs will suggest that women try Lupron to shrink their fibroids before surgery, making them easier to remove.

The concerns with taking Lupron are (1) the post-menopausal symptoms that you may experince (hot flashes, etc.) may not be tolerable for you, (2) the fact that the effects of Lupron are not pemanent (meaning that the fibroids will not stay shrunken after you stop taking Lupron. If the side effects are minimal, or at least tolerable for you, and the Lupron shrinks your fibroids so that they can be removed, then this certainly may be a great alernative for you!!

You should know, however, that the package insert for Lupron recommends that it not be taken for more than 6 months at a time. I would do a lot of research and go back and ask your MD how long he expects you to take Lupron and what his goal is for the therapy. Read up and be your own advocate for your health! Good luck to you - let us know what your MD says and what you decide.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register