6 Week Exam | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:47 AM
6 Week Exam

I am curious if any of you sisters had or didn't have an internal exam at your 6 week mark. I had everything removed and have the vag. cuff thingy but my Dr didn't do an internal and basically said nothing. So, I have made an appt with my fam Dr for next week to have an exam with her as I am not doing anything without knowing if all is well there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 09:54 AM
6 Week Exam

My last exam was at the 3 week point. Dr did an internal only because I wasn't sure if my discharge was normal - otherwise she would not have looked inside. I was given my release at that time for resumption of normal activities at 6 weeks. Everything has been fine.
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
6 Week Exam

I would have asked the dr to take a peek just to make sure that everything looks Ok (since it is impossible to know if everything is healing fine) I think it is a good idea that you made an appointment with your family Dr.....at least to give you peace of mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 11:34 AM
6 Week Exam

I am also doing everything I feel up to and I have not had a 6 week post op exam and I don't have one planned. I was told by my GYN/ONC at 10 days post op that she didn't need to see me until mid January but I see my RAD/ONC everyday. Nobody mentioned an internal exam! 's
Barb
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:43 AM
6 Week Exam

My dr did a prod of my belly, looked at my scar, then did an internal with a speculum inserted so he could inspect my cervix. Then he removed the speculum and inserted a finger or two and pressed hard on my belly - that was uncomfortable. Then he said may I insert a finger in your rectum and I replied if you must. Before I had finished getting the words out it was in and out which made me jump up the couch. I very nearly said I felt sorry for his wife but managed to bite my tongue. At least it was a thorough exam.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:12 PM
6 Week Exam

My doctor checked me at 1 week internally (without speculum). I just had my 6 week and he checked with the instrument. I'm glad he did. I have 2 infections - on meds and will see him again next week.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:13 PM
6 Week Exam

I've had a 2 week, and a 4 week post-op visit. It was just talking with the doctor to answer any questions I had. At my 4 week visit I was released to go back to work. At that time I was given a date for a 6 week visit for an internal exam to make sure everything is healing okay. If I pass that visit I get the go ahead for everything. This is how my doctor handles the post surgery visits. From reading these threads it sounds like every doctor has his/her own way of handling things. If I was uncomfortable with anything, I would question the doctor or go to another.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:33 PM
6 Week Exam

Thank you ladies - I have heard so much about the v-cuff and would like to make sure it is healing according to the standards - DH is just going to have to wait until next weekend which is fine by me.

Giskard - your Dr sounds great (hope his wife thinks so) and he did a thorough exam on you - I wish mine had just for peace of mind. But, I also at your expense had a chuckle at your wording - sorry.
Unread 11-04-2006, 01:42 PM
6 Week Exam

Stevali,

I definately would want the V cuff checked before resuming sex. I have seen some of the posts from sisters who have had stitches pop or infections and would want to know it was completely healed first. The fact you have waited 6 weeks isnt good enough as everyone heals differently. Perhaps you could go to your local dr and have it checked or even the nurse.

My dr is pretty good. He is still appologising for my bleed and I don't think he wants anything else to go wrong. I have to admit he is always very thorough and always has the time to answer all my questions. He has even given me his mobile number right from the start so I can call him anytime I have concerns. I would say I am lucky but I think everyone is entitled to that level of service although I know they don't get it.
Unread 11-04-2006, 02:10 PM
6 Week Exam

Hi Giskard, as I am very concerned, I have made an appt with my fam Dr for next Thurs for an exam and just to make sure all is ok. I wasn't pleased with what the 6 week appt consisted of so immediately called my fam Dr when I got home. She is amazing and booked me for a 45min appt to go everything and chat with me. I too have read some posts and wouldn't do anything and I mean ANYTHING without being checked out first. Darling DH will just have to wait and he totally understands. I don't want any more set backs. Trust me - I am being a really good girl. I am really impressed with your Dr - that is great and that is the way my fam Dr is. 6weeks is a standard time frame - with my healing - I am in the 8 week frame.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register