Pre-Op Appointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Appointment Pre-Op Appointment

Unread 04-15-2002, 11:05 AM
Pre-Op Appointment

I'm scheduled for surgery on May 23. I have an appointment for my history and physical with my GYN on May 20. As far as I know at the moment, that is it for pre-op appointments. (Three days in advance seems like leaving it all kind of late to me.)

My question is...what if I don't get adequate pre-op directions in time and do something stupid before I go for my history and physical and then find out I shouldn't have done whatever it was?

I know there's certain medications to avoid. Right now, I take Provera in ten-day cycles, will have just finished a cycle two days pre-op, also take multi-vitamins with iron, sometimes Percogesic for migranes, occassionally ibuprofen, etc. What else should I be careful of in the weeks ahead? (Is this information in the HysterSisters book? I just got it, but haven't read that far yet.)

Thanks, ladies!!

Lisa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 11:16 AM
Pre-Op

Hi,
I just read through your pre-op visit concerns, and it seems kind of late to me also. As much as you probably do not want to, I think you should call your docotr and leave a message to speak directly to him/her. Ask the Dr. those exact questions. Also, you may want to ask if you will be hearing from the hospital for a pre-op visit as well. I guess each place is different, byut today I had to go to my hospital for mine where they do an ekg, draw blood, weigh you, take your history and discuss all current meds.
Well good luck and Good Wishes too!
Unread 04-15-2002, 05:24 PM
Hi Sashi

I agree with SMM. Please call the doctor and ask to go over some of the information in advance. I too am surprised they would cut it so close.
I do know it is a good idea to stay away from many herbal supplements. There is a link to list at the top of the Pre-Op Board. Also, I would avoid aspirin and atleast according to my pre-op nurse don't take more than 400 iu of Vit E per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Pre-Op Appointment

Hi. My surgery is scheduled for the same day. My pre-op consultation with the doctor is May 3. Once I get their pre-op package in the mail, I'll have to call and schedule the bloodwork, etc., but the nurse said the guidelines would be in the package (i.e., when to schedule pre-admission testing, etc.)

I agree with the others. Call the doctor and ask your questions. Good luck to you. I'll be thinking of you on that day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register